If the apps I make are able to compile in Xamarin, does that mean that it will work on Linux and Mac

StanLimStanLim USMember

Hi. I'm new to programming and I started on VB.NET first. If my VB.NET app was able to compile and run successfully on Xamarin, does that mean that it would work on Mac and Linux also? Thanks in advanced.

Best Answer

• BradRobinsonBradRobinson AU ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

No guaranteed, but possibly. It depends on what referenced assemblies you're using and whether they're available and work on the target platform.

• A console app - then there's a good change it will work.
    • Web app - also a good chance
    • WinForms app - less likely. I believe there is a port of WinForms but I've not used it so I couldn't comment.
    • A GTK# app - probably - this is the GUI framework upon which XamStudio itself is built and it works on these platforms.

Answers

• BradRobinsonBradRobinson AUMember ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

No guaranteed, but possibly. It depends on what referenced assemblies you're using and whether they're available and work on the target platform.

• A console app - then there's a good change it will work.
    • Web app - also a good chance
    • WinForms app - less likely. I believe there is a port of WinForms but I've not used it so I couldn't comment.
    • A GTK# app - probably - this is the GUI framework upon which XamStudio itself is built and it works on these platforms.
  • StanLimStanLim USMember
    edited April 2013

Thanks for the quick answer! I'll have to see how it goes since it is a WinForms app. Referenced assemblies include PresentationCore, PresentationFramework, System.Drawing, System.Windows.Forms, System.Xml, and WindowsBase

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

Use MOMA to check compatibility of your assemblies DLLs and exe

BTW presentationframework and presentationcore and windowsbase smell a lot like wpf and this is no-no with mono

• StanLimStanLim USMember

Well, I used the converter for the .exe file and it checked out all good. Those .dlls that I listed above just came with it when I first started the project. I probably have to remove them since they are unused.