Multiple attempts needed to deploy to an iOS emulator

ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri ✭✭✭✭✭USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to do Command+Enter multiple times so that the app can be deployed and run on any iOS emulator. The deployment fails and with each attempt it progresses and finally deploys and runs. That appears to be some timeout issue.

Once the app is loaded to the emulator, it can be run even without the debugger attached.

I have XS 5.5.2, Xamarin.IOS 8.2.0.207, Xcode 6.0.1 and my MBP (mid 2010 mode) is running OS X 10.9.5.

Does anyone else have similar issue? Any workaround?

Best Answer

Answers

• voidvoid ✭✭✭ DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

I see this regularly as well. I'm currently using the beta channel on a freshly installed Yosemite.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Today morning I got updates to Xcode 6.1 (6604) and to Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.15. But these updates have not resolved this issue. Moreover now I am not able to deploy to the iPhone 6 iOS 8.1 simulator. I don't know which update is an issue.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

The issue isn't with Xamarin.iOS, the bug deploying to the iOS simulator for 8.1 is a bug in Xamarin Studio that I've already fixed and should end up making it into Xamarin Studio 5.5.3.

edited November 2014

@JeffreyStedfast‌ Got XS 5.5.3. But I am still not able to deploy to any of the simulators of Xcode 6.

What error are you getting?

The following is what I see in Application Output window..

Process exited with code 69, command:
    xcrun -sdk macosx otool -L /Users/shantimohan/Dropbox/XPAs/PretzoldsEx/cp019_NoteTaker9_XFP/iOS/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/cp019_NoteTaker9_XFPiOS.app/cp019_NoteTaker9_XFPiOS

Agreeing to the Xcode/iOS license requires admin privileges, please re-run as root via sudo.

Starting iPhone 4s
    Launching application
    Application launched. PID = 16110
    Press enter to terminate the application
    >
    Application Terminated

@JeffreyStedfast‌ Yes, that worked. When I started Xcode, it first asked to accept terms and then installed some components. Then the magic worked. ThanQ...

• rogiheerogihee ✭✭✭ NLMember ✭✭✭

Still running into this issue, even after having XCode opened on XS 5.5.3 build 6, and iOS 8.4.0.16 (stable). I'm on X 10.9.5.

It worked exactly one time, and after that I now consistently get the message "Could not connect to debugger". Restarting XCode or the simulator does not work.

• rogiheerogihee ✭✭✭ NLMember ✭✭✭

Disabling incremental builds for debug configuration fixed it.....

@jstedfast‌ This is happening again.

I checked on @rogihee‌ tip. The option 'Enable incremental builds' is already unchecked. But now again back to square one. It doesn't deploy on any number of runs. It just ran only 2 or 3 times successfully after I ran the Xcode.

If you clean your build and then rebuild, does that work?

That is not helping. In one app it is failing in Main.cs -> calling AppDelegate. In another it is same as before, just it is terminated.

I only have OS Maveriks, Is that be a reason?

• RDRD USMember

HI @jstedfast‌,

I've the same problem and usually clean and build fix it, but after a while it happens again...

My2cents :)

Fabio

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

Can you create a screencast to show exactly what happens and how it fails?

@RolfBjarneKvinge‌, I will take sometime to prepare the screencast. I don't know if @RD‌ can provide one on what one is experiencing.

@RolfBjarneKvinge‌ Sorry for the inordinate delay. Here is the link for screencast of the problem that I am facing.

In this video the iOS emjulator responded for the 2nd run itself. But till last week I had to run several times. Few times, I gave up running the app for iOS as it was crashing whatever I do.

There were some updates to Xcode and Xamarin. So the current versions that I have are: Xamarin Studio 5.5.4 (build 15), Xcode 6.1.1 (6611), Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.47 (Indie Edition).

In the iOS 8+ simulators there is a 20s timeout for the app to launch (this is the same timeout that the app has on the device to launch), this is probably why the app terminates at launch.

However it does not explain why the app takes this long to launch in the first place; does it usually take a while (even when it works)?

Could you get the simulator's system log from a failed launch attempt (you can open the system log from the menu Debug -> Open System Log)?

@RolfBjarneKvinge‌ Sorry, my MBP is having issues with the HDD. It fills up fast and now I am left with one 400+MB (??!!??). Online forums are suggesting clean installing the OS. May be I will have to take it to Genius bar. So I will try it once it is resolved and post the logs if the issue still present. May be clean OS install is the solution for my iOS simulator issue (???).

@RolfBjarneKvinge‌ Thanks for waiting. OK my Mac issues were resolved and I ran the iOS project. Of course the launch failed again. But I couldn't locate the menu Debug -> Open System Log. You meant it on a XS on MacBook Pro?

I think Rolf meant the Help -> Open Log Directory menu item and not Debug.

@RolfBjarneKvinge‌ and @jstedfast‌ : Here are the 3 log files that I found with the date on which I ran the iOS project without success. Hope this helps to find solution to my issue

@ShantimohanElchuri‌: I meant Debug -> Open System Log from the iOS Simulator, not Xamarin Studio.

@RolfBjarneKvinge‌ Here I am attaching two files. The 'iOS Simulator Log' contains very old entries. I don't know if 'system.log' will be of any use. I see only this file contained latest entries.

Let me know if you can make anything out of these. As such now I created a new project, after the latest updates, and it also doesn't run.

@ShantimohanElchuri‌: there's nothing very interesting in those logs, so this is quite strange.

Can you launch successfully with Xcode?

It's an Xamarin Forms project. Can it be launched with Xcode? If so, how do I?