Unknown Project type when trying to open iOS or MacOS projects in Xamarin Studio

DarksideDarkside GBMember

If you see the attached image, I get the following error when trying to open iOS or MacOS projects in Xamarin Studio.

"Could not load project with unknown item type"

Any ideas?

Works find for Android / Windows solutions
I do have the trial enabled for VS Android integration but have not yet activated the iOS integration in VS yet (if that helps)

• DarksideDarkside GBMember

Hmm found possible answer in another thread after some searching
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/1564/employeedirectory-xam2

This suggests that iOS development in Xamarin Studio is NOT supported in windows. The only supported option on Windows is using the VS integration.

Is this correct?

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy Xamurai GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

That's correct, Xamarin.iOS support in only available through Visual Studio on Windows.

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy Xamurai GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

On a side note, that error message is not very useful and will be updated in the future to state the fact that it's not supported.

• DarksideDarkside GBMember

Thanks Chris

Any indication whether it will be supported in the future or is it being kept for the premium VS experience through the Enterprise license?

• JosephHillJosephHill Xamurai USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hello Simon
    We do not currently have any plans to implement iOS support in XS on Windows, not because we want to keep it a premium feature, but because there is no significant demand.

Xamarin.iOS, even in VS, still requires a Mac for device compilation, signing, simulator, etc, so almost every developer given a choice between using XS on their Mac or XS on Windows would choose to work on the Mac, which is a simpler configuration and supports tighter Xcode integration for doing layout design.

• victoriavictoria ✭✭✭ SEMember ✭✭✭

Are you sure about that? Then I might be in the minority, but given the choice I much prefer to work in Windows and really hope you'll consider adding support for it in the future. I like Visual Studio and it's impressive what you have accomplished so far, but for me it feels like a clever hack. You just don't get that lean Xamarin Studio experience, at least not yet. Even so, I still much prefer to use Visual Studio over Xamarin Studio on Mac simply because even after several years on OS X, I simply can not get myself to like the OS (and that's coming from someone with a heavy background in Linux).

For me, and maybe others, Xamarin Studio on Windows with a mac mini tucked away in the corner would be the best of both worlds :-)

• JasonHardmanJasonHardman USMember

I agree about working in Xamarin Studio on Windows rather than Mac. I hate the keyboard on the Mac (Mac delete is not a delete, it is a backspace!) and find Windows keyboard much better for navigation i.e. page down, home, end etc. It is clumsy to use combination keys on Mac to achieve simple things in Windows. I have even resorted to VNC to the Mac so I can sit at my work Windows PC with a proper keyboard where I have a backspace.

• mhutchmhutch Xamurai USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@JasonHardman: FWIW there are equivalent keyboard shortcuts on Mac for many Windows behaviours. For example, for Windows-like Home/End you can use Cmd-Left/Cmd-Right. For Windows-like delete, Fn-Delete. Or plug in a full size Mac/Windows keyboard with actual Home/End/Delete etc keys. You can also rebind almost everything in the Ketbindings section in Xamarin Studio Preferences.

• JasonHardmanJasonHardman USMember

I realise that and like I said it is clumsy using combination keys. I could try plugging in a windows keyboard but it is difficult when the mac is actually a MacBook. I would much prefer to just use Xamarin Studio on Windows.

• SimonJackson.6912SimonJackson.6912 GBMember

I'd have to agree, having an ability to use the fantastic Xamarin studio from Windows for iOS solutions would be a perfect world for me.
    While I'm working on MonoGame projects for instance, at least having the ability to have all my projects in a single develop solution is just fantastic and easy to manage.
    Since I don't even have a Mac this really degrades my experience in making iOS / Mac solutions whereas I can make projects for any of the other supported types in Windows, including PSM studio, only iOS is left in the cold.

I'm fine having a small mac box to do builds and submit projects from but would hate to have to split up my dev work for just one platform.

My 10 pence worth