Xamarin Studio and Git

Hello,

I'm team working for a project using Xamarin Studio. We tried to use Git to merge our work but we have some issues. I mean all the files seem to be correctly merged in project folder, but when opening Xamarin Studio i have to manually import them. I suppose there is a file that list up all project files, but how to correctly use Git with it ?

Any help ?

• MariusUngureanuMariusUngureanu ROXamarin Team Xamurai

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

What do you mean by having to manually import them?

Just to make sure:

1. You're using plain merge.
    2. A project file (i.e. csproj) has been updated with files being added.
    3. The solution tree isn't showing the new files.
  • SachaDurrSachaDurr BEMember

Thanks for your answer

The project file is not being updated. We are using Tortoise Git in W7 et SourceTree in OSX, and they look like not being able to merge it, it's like Git replace the previous file.

So the solution tree is NOT showing the new files, it even hides the previous files.

The version control on xamarin can make local merge, but not online one's.

Heya, so:

'The project file isn't being updated' means that we're trying to make a merge which fails in TGit and SourceTree? Is it a general problem or a problem that's caused by us?

So the project is being rigged back to a previous version which doesn't have the files included. Can I have a repro project and some repro steps?

Also, you can make 'online merges', but you need to fetch first. That means, you have to make a 'git fetch' if you don't want to rely on Update doing fetch and merge/rebase for you. Then, when selecting a branch to merge from, you expand the remote tree node (usually origin) and you'll have all remote branches which you can merge into local branches.

Sorry for the delay,

Actually, it seems that SourceTree cannot merge csproj file. So when using Xamarin Studio Version Control, i'm now able to have everything fine on osx. But my friend on win8 is asked to enter a Git password. We don't have Git password as we use ssh key. Is it a way to set the key's url in Xamarin ?

Thanks

That's because he cloned the repository using https protocol on his Windows machine. So he's trying to authenticate through a user/pass pair.

Changing the remote to be a ssh url will also make it try using ssh keys.

• geoffroygeoffroy USMember

Hi!
    i have the same issues with GIT but i'm pretty sure that the SSH key used by Xamarin Studi is totally different from the one i'm supposed to use. is there a way to use a specific SSH key?
    Thanks

Any help with geoffroy's problem ?

It's getting boring to be forced to do manual merge when team working...

Thanks

Sacha

Come on guys, any help to get that work ?