AndroidManifest.xml file not present in the Android-only solution and project

I'm using Xamarin's tutorial "Hello, Android Part 1: Quickstart" (http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/getting_started/hello,android/hello,android_quickstart/) to learn how to use this Xamarin platform. However, there came a point when the tutorial said to open up the AndroidManifest.xml file under the Properties node to give the application permission to call. When I expanded my Properties node, there wasn't any file with that name! I searched all the other nodes but couldn't find that file anywhere in the solution or the project. Can anyone help me with that and tell what is the reason for its absence and how to get it?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
AIT

• KeyzerSKeyzerS NOMember ✭✭
    edited November 2014

Hello Ait!

I see Android-Only solution in the title, but just to double check:

What kind of project did you choose for the test? If its a consoll project for example, it wont have a manifest file. Make sure that you create something like a Android Application, when your creating a new solution for the tutorial. The default project on a fresh install is consoll project.

• AITAIT SAMember

I chose a blank solution and then an Android Application project just as the tutorial told me to do.

• KeyzerSKeyzerS NOMember ✭✭
    edited November 2014

Aha! Yes, in that case I think you need to click "Build" and then "Build all" and that should create the AndroidManifest. I just ran a test myself, and doing it like in the guide does indeed create the project without the manifest. Hitting build made the project created it, though.

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DEInsider, University ✭✭✭✭

Alternatively you can right-click at the project and choose options. Then select Android Application and press the "Add Android manifest".

• AITAIT SAMember

Thanks KeyzerS and SebastianSeidel for giving time to help me. Although building the project didn't help, adding Android manifest did help. Thanks everyone again for trying to help me!

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Looks like there might be a Xamarin Studio bug or at least a discrepancy when adding a new Android project to an existing solution versus creating a new Android project without an existing solution.

1. Adding a new Android project to an existing solution does not create the AndroidManifest.xml file until you close and re-open the solution.
    2. Creating a new Android project without an existing solution does create the AndroidManifest.xml file.

I would have expected the behaviour to be consistent in the two cases.

So the quick start documentation is currently incorrect based on the current Xamarin Studio behaviour. Visual Studio seems to be OK.

• AITAIT SAMember

Then I think the tutorial should be edited so that other people who use it do not face the same difficulty.