Cross-Platform Solution

GuyDillenGuyDillen BEMember
edited November 2014 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

Hi,

I'm new to Xamarin cross-platform development. For the moment I only want to target IOS (in a later phase Android) and so today I also have only an Indy subscription for IOS development.
When I create a solution based on the "Blank App Xamarin.Forms Portable" template it generates of course also an Android project as part of the solution. But since today I only target IOS today (and have only a subscription for IOS) what do I need to do with the Android project: delete it or unload it and reload when I start with the Android client??, ... (to avoid problems when compiling)? Or do I need to choose another solution template?

Thanks.
Guy

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

You can delete it, but why use Xamarin.Forms if you only want iOS support?

• GuyDillenGuyDillen BEMember

In the future I want to add support for Android. I mentioned "unload"-ing the project works also. Are there any caveats when doing this (and "reload"ing the Android project) when I also target Android (instead of deleting the project)?

As you mention only targeting IOS, I suppose you mean selecting a solution from: iOS -> Unified API -> Universal? I suppose I can not use Xamarin.Forms when only targeting IOS?

Thanks.

If you will only ever support iOS then Xamarin.iOS is the way to go. If you will someday support Android then Xamarin.Forms makes sense.

Unloading the project should be fine as well. It's just kind of a hassle because you may have to do it every time you open the solution.

• GuyDillenGuyDillen BEMember

Thanks.

I suppose there's no "migration path" from Xamarin.IOS to Xamarin.Forms since UI technologies used are different? What about the other non-UI code can these be migrated?
    Thanks.

If you're going to use Forms in the future then just start there.