Some feedback on live class times... and a rockin idea!

RenHammingtonRenHammington NZMember, University

I've just started the University, and I have to say I think it's very professional. Rene and Chris have been very helpful and the course materials are fantastic. Can't wait for my shirt to arrive.

My only issue is regarding the times for the courses. I accept that attendance is mandatory for some classes, but the times really leave a lot to be desired for some countries. I'm in New Zealand and it's not too bad for now - all of my classes start at 8pm and finish between 9:30 and 11pm. I note, for some classes, that the times don't coincide with this time slot, so I'd need to be up at some ungodly hour. In short, no. If live attendance is mandatory for certification, then I think the classes and times need to be (more) mixed up to suit your international audience.

How about this for an idea: imagine, if you will, that when people enrol in the University, you ask them what times would work best for live learning. Maybe choose from a range of time bands, ranking 1st, 2nd and 3rd best options. From that, you would have a good sense of demand and then schedule a curriculum around that. If you've only got 10-15 people in a class, then I think this would be achievable. Who knows, perhaps you do this already and I'm gonna look like a complete muppet by submitting this post. In which case, feel free to mock me... I'd deserve it for being that stupid.

It would also make sense (from my point of view), to have the live learning sequenced. Ie, attend this class first, then this one, then this one, etc. Wouldn't that be nice? "Based on the time slots you've indicated, here's the best learning track for you...".

Yes, I'm a dreamer. What do others think?

• VictorHGarciaVictorHGarcia USUniversity ✭✭

Interesting idea.

But now that you mention that, I think will be good to have some kind of class listing with filters, for example:
    Filter classes by a range of date and time (available at that moment), example:
    From Date: December 1, 2014 - December 15, 2015
    From Time: 5 PM (Central Time) - 9 PM (Central Time)

Because, right now go class by class checking which I can attend is becoming more tedious because more classes are being added. I'm talking about this page: https://university.xamarin.com/classes

Just my grain of salt.

Thanks

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Yeah, the landing page is sub-optimal, and in fact, our UI design team is redesigning the site to make it much easier to navigate and find classes and we will hopefully have it updated in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the notes!

Mark

• nick5454nick5454 USUniversity ✭✭✭

How about a link to xamarin university from the main profile. There is not a link from the profile in the main xamarin portal.