4.0.2 broke custom color schemes

geredgered CAMember

The upgrade to 4.0.2 seems to have broken my custom color scheme created with 4.0. I can still see my custom scheme files located at ~/Library/XamarinStudio-4.0/HighlightingSchemes. However, it now doesn't show up in the color scheme list under Preferences within Xamarin Studio. If I try to re-add the scheme using the "Add" button, nothing happens... no error, nothing new shows up in the list, etc.

I noticed that if I export one of the existing schemes (e.g. Monokai), the format seems to be in JSON now as opposed to the XML format before? However, I also found that if I set a new name and tweaked some of the values in the scheme I exported with 4.0.2 and then re-added, nothing happens, same as before.

Seems like the importing color scheme's are broken?

• DaveWDaveW USMember ✭✭

Same problem here, can't use my custom color themes. I've also noticed that a lot of the colors in the json file can't be changed from the color editor in Xamarin Studio, like the current line highlight color.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

There were substantial changes made to the syntax color scheme system in 4.0.2 to make it possible to import Visual Studio color schemes accurately, since there's a very large number of VS color schemes available. Unfortunately this unavoidably broke the loading of existing MD/XS custom color schemes. Very sorry!

• geredgered CAMember

Right, and that makes sense, however, right now (as mentioned in the 2nd half of my original post) whenever I export a color scheme from within 4.0.2 and try to import it on another computer also running 4.0.2, the import doesn't work (nothing happens, no error message either).

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 2013

Ah, that sounds like a bug. Could you please file it?

• MikeKrgerMikeKrger DEXamarin Team, Beta Xamurai

You can copy them to ~/Library/Xamarin Studio-4.0/HighlightingSchemes

They should be loaded automatically.

btw. you can import styles from http://studiostyl.es/ as well - there are really many.

btw. before 4.0.2 we broke frequently color schemes - the new model isn't very fragile if colors get updated -> colors are more stable in the future.

But it was mainly done for beeing able to re-use vs.net color schemes. There are now really many editor schemes our users can choose from - just import one that's ok and alter 1-2 colors, if needed. This is much easier than anything we had before.

• MarkOsborneMarkOsborne USMember

It would have been really nice to have been warned that the upgrade was going to lose our current custom settings. We could have at least made a note of our changes and recreated them. :(

Yes that was a mistake. I would've liked to postpone the change to 4.1. But I suspect that getting this in sooner helps.

At least the vs.net settings importer was an often requested feature. And as said the old system broke the colors often when adding new colors. (But old schemes were fixable)

• MarkOsborneMarkOsborne USMember

I may be missing this but... Prior to the update I was able to customize the colors for at least several things that I no longer can adjust. Specifically the colors used for "Highlight Matching Brace" and "Highlight identifier references".

Was the ability to adjust the colors used for these specifically taken away?

• geredgered CAMember
    edited March 2013

@mhutch @MikeKrger

Alright, I had some time to play with this some more. I think I've narrowed down the problem I was having with exporting/reimporting in 4.0.2.

The problem seems to be that, right now, Xamarin Studio will not recognize imported color schemes that were originally created in 4.0.2, regardless of if they are imported with the "Add" button or by dropping it into ~/Library/XamarinStudio-4.0/HighlightingSchemes (and then (re-)starting Xamarin Studio) unless the scheme file has a ".vssettingsStyle.json" extension.

The big problem here is that the color scheme exporter in Xamarin Studio does not add this file extension automatically. At least, it's not for me every time I do an export. So one might assume from this that Xamarin Studio doesn't care what the file extension is... obviously this is not the case right now.

I've fiddled around with this for a while, but ensuring the file extension is correct seems to be the only way to get Xamarin Studio to list your own custom schemes. Obviously this is not a problem if you're only ever creating the scheme in one Xamarin Studio install and never exporting/importing.

If you'd still like, I can submit a bug for this.

Also, regarding @MarkOsborne's last post... I've noticed this too. The only way I've been able to change colors for certain things is by editing the scheme file manually in ~/Library/XamarinStudio-4.0/HighlightingSchemes. There seem to be quite a few missing in the color scheme editor dialog. Quite annoying considering the changes don't seem to take effect when you're making changes to the scheme file itself until you restart Xamarin Studio. :)

I'll look at it - maybe it's the ambient color section that's missing.

I included now the ambient colors to the scheme editor & fixed the file extensions import/export works better now.