Xamarin Installation Not Working

JashaszunJashaszun USMember

I downloaded and ran XamarinInstaller.exe on my Windows 7 desktop computer. I pass the first step, which is asking me whether I want to send usage statistics. I then tell it that it is OK to run it as an administrator, at which point the form disappears, never to be seen again. I've looked at the Task Manager, and once I pass the administrator authentication step, two Xamarin installer processes are running. After a few seconds, though, they both disappear from the list of processes.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would very much like to use Xamarin!

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

Try right-clicking XamarinInstaller.exe then clicking Run as administrator.

If that doesn't help, please attach the Universal Installer logs, which can be found in %LOCALAPPDATA\Xamarin\Universal, e.g. C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Universal.

• JashaszunJashaszun USMember
    edited February 2013

Thank you for your prompt response!

I did attempt to run it as an administrator, but with the exact same action taken by the installer. I have attached the installation log (I think! It never seemed to finish uploading...). Hopefully it will help you to help me!

Update:
    It seemed not to have uploaded the installation log, but it does ask me to save an "UploadAttachment..." file. This file contains:

Status":"success","MediaID":"360","Filename":"InstallLog.634962837438351440.txt","Filesize":11440,"FormatFilesize":"11.2K","ProgressKey":"","Thumbnail":"PHNwYW4gY2xhc3M9IlRodW1iLURlZmF1bHQiPjxzcGFuIGNsYXNzPSJUaHVtYi1FeHRlbnNpb24iPnR4dDwvc3Bhbj48aW1nIHNyYz0iL3BsdWdpbnMvRmlsZVVwbG9hZC9pbWFnZXMvZmlsZS5wbmciIGNsYXNzPSJJbWFnZVRodW1ibmFpbCIgaGVpZ2h0PSIxMjgiIC8+PC9zcGFuPg==","FinalImageLocation":"http:\/\/cdn.vanillaforums.com\/xamarin.vanillaforums.com\/FileUpload\/64\/975086646432ea6f57a36395e3b4cd.txt","Parsed":{"Name":"FileUpload\/64\/975086646432ea6f57a36395e3b4cd.txt","Type":"cf","SaveName":"~cf\/FileUpload\/64\/975086646432ea6f57a36395e3b4cd.txt","SaveFormat":"~cf\/%s","Url":"http:\/\/cdn.vanillaforums.com\/xamarin.vanillaforums.com\/FileUpload\/64\/975086646432ea6f57a36395e3b4cd.txt"}},"FormSaved":true,"DeliveryType":"VIEW","Data":"","InformMessages":[],"ErrorMessages":"","RedirectUrl":""}

I'm not sure if that means anything, but hopefully I will be able to upload the installation log!

• MiamyMiamy RUMember

Hello everyone! I have experienced the same trouble as Jashaszun described above. And I don't have installer logs at any path (no Xamarin folder at all). My system is Win XP Home SP3.

• PaulThomsonPaulThomson ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

Saw a similar forum thread to this one just before I went to install the latest on my main machine. Found that a pre-prerequisite for the xamarin installer is dotnetfx45 .. it was silently trying to run but never progressed. Stopped everything, restarted, downloaded ran dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe installer and found that it wanted to stop SQLExpress service before continuing (maybe what the xam dotnetfx45 installer was waiting for). Anyway, finished installing 4.5, then went back and ran the xamarin installer ... "(may take a long time)" and ... success

• MiamyMiamy RUMember

Paul, thank you for an answer. Yes, problem was in DotNet 4.5 setup. Unfortunately, this version requires WinVista at least :(

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy Xamurai GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

We have seen some issues that are caused by the old Xamarin Mono for Android Installer - http://screencast.com/t/R6xr0Un2 so you might want to uninstall that first to see if that helps with the issue (@Miamy especially)

• JashaszunJashaszun USMember

Thank you all!

I uninstalled the Xamarin Mono for Android Installer, and then ran XamarinInstaller.exe as administrator. After telling it that it can send usage statistics and clicking 'Next', the installation dialog appeared around 5 minutes later. At least it worked, though!

• MiamyMiamy RUMember

Chris, thank you. The problem wasn't in previous installations of Xamarin, but in my operation system - Win XP, however.

• ChrisGWChrisGW USMember
    edited March 2013

Every time I attempt to run XamarinInstaller.exe on my Windows 7 machine, as Administrator (or otherwise) I get the screen about sending usage statistics, and then it vanishes... and does not return.

Update: I tried PaulThomson's suggestion of running the DotNet45Full installer, and rerunning the XamarinInstaller. Unfortunately no joy... disappears from TaskManager after a few seconds.

• ChrisGWChrisGW USMember
    edited March 2013

And now there's an entry in my programs list that won't uninstall.

Update: Additionally, no log files are being generated or I would attach them. I have uninstalled everything even tangentially related to Mono, except Xamarin Universal Installer which just won't go away from the uninstall/change program list, no matter how many times I click uninstall. It flashes a window up for half a second and then just disappears.

• MikiWattsMikiWatts ILMember

I'm having the exact same problem as ChrisGW.

• RoamingCoderRoamingCoder USMember
    edited March 2013

Wanted to do a serious evaluation of this product for professional enterprise viability.

Sorry but the installer is a joke. Experienced all the issues listed above, including that shared by Miki and others. Currently no way to actually evaluate it because no way to get rid of its broken chunks. Trying to reinstall is useless and does nothing.

The logs from the original installation attempt show it encountered numerous corrupted archives while it was initially installing. It didn't indicate any of this during installation.

So now at a point where can't evaluate it, because can't un-install it, nor re-install it, nor use it as the installation itself is corrupted.

This a REAL bad way to try and gain adoption for what should be the answer for all us .NET junkies in the Mobile space. If this isn't solved, there is no future and we'll be doomed to deal with the horrendous entity known as JAVA forever.

Edited:
    Windows 7 Pro x64.

What a massive disappointment. Wow :(

• MikiWattsMikiWatts ILMember

I found out that after the initial installation, new installer log files are written to the %LOCALAPPDATA\temp, rather than the one mentioned at the first posts.
    I saw an indication in the installer logs that restart is required, so tried restaring my computer and it enabled the installer to start working again. So give it a shot.

• RoamingCoderRoamingCoder USMember

Restarting is one of the 1st things I did after. That's been a habbit for long time depending on what's being installed. But anyway, no change (or I wouldn't have needed to post). Does nothing now. There's definitely some work to be done on it. The fact its own logs indicate it encountered corrupted (web fetched) files during its installation, but no indication during install of this fact, nor the fact it never put it where I told it to but left it chunked in the appdata folder, etc etc... pretty far from "prime time" ready. And that's a real problem considering need this working immediately for evaluation, or it'll go in the bit bucker and miss its chance to prove viable in the Mobile space (for us).

• citykidcitykid ATMember

You should place a warning to the update package, it takes close to an hour on a very fast machine. Kept me from working that long.

(I know writing setups for the Windows installer is no fun at all)

• mauriciograciagmauriciograciag COMember

I was having the same problem on 2 computers both with VS 2010 installed in them. For some reason now that my VS2010 is not installed the installer is actuallyworking and downloading the components that it needs. In fact is not that I removed the VS2010 is just that I had to re-install windows 7 64 bits after 2010 started showing this error http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5980847/visual-studio-2010-startup-type-initializer-for-module-threw-an-exception

• mauriciograciagmauriciograciag COMember

It seems that the Xamarin team solved something on the installer, since now on a different computer with VS2010 installed on Windows 7 64 bits, the installer is downloading the components. So try to get the installer again since you last tried and let us know if that helped or if new problem arises

• tedktedk USMember

It appears that Xamarin studio installed under the Administrator account on my machine. I prefer to run as a normal user. Can Xamarin studio install under the normal user?

• tedktedk USMember

I installed the Tasky Android app, but can't bring it up in VS 2010. I see the solution, but the projects are 'Unavailable'. The message is that the project file was unloaded.

This 10 minute project is now going on two hours. Not the ease of use that I expected. Do I need to get a Mac computer for this to really work?

Thanks, Ted

• WouterDSWouterDS BEMember
    edited August 2013

I'm having this same issue.

But as I read this topic through, I understand that you can not install it on Windows XP?

• CheesebaronCheesebaron mod DKInsider, University mod

@WouterDS If people are running 13 year old OS's it is their own fault. XP is so outdated and vulnerable due to end of updates for the OS. Also a lot of newer hardware is stopping support for the OS as well, so you might want to update to something newer.

@tedk What is the error when you try to re-load the unavailable projects?

• WouterDSWouterDS BEMember

@cheesebaron you surely have a point there, developers that are still on XP have a serious problem.

• GuyHoldenGuyHolden ILMember

I had the same problems, but after installing .NET 4.5 it started working again

• CraigSchulteCraigSchulte USMember
    edited October 2013

I'm having the same issue as of 10/15/2013. It was actually working fine until I cancelled the install during the time when it was downloading components. Then I installed Visual Studio 2010 and tried to restart the install. The first screen/dialog appears but the app crashes and disappears from task manager when I click continue. I've tried restarting and it didn't help.

So it either has something to do with installing Visual Studio 2010 or with canceling install and restarting install. Either way I'm stuck now. Please help.

Edit: Running on Windows 7.

edited October 2013

I'm thinking I may not be an administrator on the computer they provided me to install this software. They claim I am but I've requested the company's service desk to double check this. It's confusing that the installer started to work the first time though, but not the second time. My permissions didn't change between that time period.

Here is a copy of the install log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33496602/xamarin_install_error.txt

ok, once they truly granted me admin rights the problem disappeared. still you should consider altering your setup so that it shows a message stating that Admin rights are required instead of silently crashing.

• nousgoalsnousgoals AUMember, University

I've been getting the same problem. I've gone through all of the solution provided above (I think) and it is still not working. I've checked my firewall restrictions, I don't think that is it.
    I've attached the install log.
    Any help with be greatly appreciated (especially soon, I've got to get started on a development in the coming days/weeks).
    Thanks

• DaveHuntDaveHunt ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zenton,

That sounds like a problem with the installer file itself possibly being corrupted or incomplete. Try downloading the installer again.

@DaveHunt
    Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I thought too, so I have re-downloaded it ten times (I'm being completely serious, I counted). I've gotten some other log outputs, but no matter what the output it is always breaking at the same point (just after I hit continue, and yes I am running in admin).
    I'll try downloading again and I'll see if I can get a different (hopefully non corrupt) log for here.
    Thanks again

Ok, I've done more tests.
    I've downloaded the installer on a different computer (same problem). I've deleted my previous installer and downloaded a new one (to hopefully solve any corruption issues on the previous one).
    Here are the logs.

Log 20131024170831 (the first attached) is from my main computer and the one that I've repeatedly attempted to install on.
    Log 20131024170313 (the second attached) is from my laptop. This install was the first attempt for that computer.

Thank you

• GodNewsGodNews DKMember

I downloaded and ran XamarinInstaller.exe on my Windows 8 desktop computer. I pass the first step, which is asking me whether I want to send usage statistics. I then tell it that it is OK to run it as an administrator, at which point the form disappears, never to be seen again. I've looked at the Task Manager, and once I pass the administrator authentication step, two Xamarin installer processes are running. After a few seconds, though, they both disappear from the list of processes.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would very much like to use Xamarin!

• GodNewsGodNews DKMember

I can't link computer to my account!

• JasonBSteeleJasonBSteele ✭✭ USUniversity ✭✭

I have just updated to Win 8.1 and VS 2013 so wanted to install Xam again. I got the close after accept logging described above and the following in the log:

[1D14:0D8C][2013-10-24T08:55:28]i336: Acquiring container: WixAttachedContainer, copy from: D:\Downloads\XamarinInstaller.exe [1D14:0D8C][2013-10-24T08:55:28]i000: Setting string variable 'WixBundleLastUsedSource' to value 'D:\Downloads\' [1D14:0710][2013-10-24T08:55:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to extract all files from container. [1D14:0D8C][2013-10-24T08:55:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to wait for operation complete. [1D14:0D8C][2013-10-24T08:55:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to open container. [1D14:0D8C][2013-10-24T08:55:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed to open container: WixAttachedContainer. [1D14:0D8C][2013-10-24T08:55:28]e312: Failed to extract payloads from container: WixAttachedContainer to working path: C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\{ce920643-b2f9-471c-8a62-824e45ae6622}\C80445528E608624BF3C6297F11ED2EF437DA039, error: 0x80004005. [1D14:1CF8][2013-10-24T08:55:28]e000: Error 0x80004005: Failed while caching, aborting execution.

I then tried an installer that worked previously and got an error message in the installer with this in the log:

[Info] DEBUG: Error 2711: The specified Feature name ('MonoDroidSDK') not found in Feature Table. [Info] The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2711. The arguments are: MonoDroidSDK, , [Info] MSI (s) (10:E4) [09:10:02:659]: Product: Xamarin.Android -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2711. The arguments are: MonoDroidSDK, , ... [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] Installation of software item 'Xamarin.Android for Visual Studio and Xamarin Studio' failed with exception. [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] Xamarin.Web.Installer.InstallException: Installation of archive '<USER_HOME>\Temp\Xamarin\downloads\mono-android-4.8.03015.msi' failed with exception. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: MSI execution failed. [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] at Xamarin.Web.Installer.WindowsInstallationArchiveHandler.InstallMsi(String file, Boolean needsPrivileges) [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] at Xamarin.Web.Installer.Installer.InstallationArchiveHandler.Install(String path, Boolean needsPrivileges) [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] --- End of inner exception stack trace --- [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] at Xamarin.Web.Installer.Installer.InstallationArchiveHandler.Install(String path, Boolean needsPrivileges) [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] at Xamarin.Web.Installer.Installer.BaseSoftwareItem.Install(UInt32 tryNumber) [2013-10-24 08:10:02.997] [Exception] at WindowsInstaller.ProgressPage.InstallationWorker()

I have tried running as Admin and rebooting to no avail.

Please help, thank you,
    Jason Steele

• AndriiStetskyiAndriiStetskyi USMember

Same problem here. Cant install, XamarinInstaller keep crashing silently after "asking me whether I want to send usage statistics" window

Tried to reinstall framework 4.5, rebooted and re downloaded installer several times. Nothing works

Tried to install on 3 different machines, same issue everywhere

Found a kind of solution. In another thread @OlegMakarov posted a link to the old installer, once installed I believe you can just update to the new version.
    Original post in "Getting errors in latest Windows installation" thread.
    Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfiujzhn0zlihfj/XamarinInstaller.exe

Hope this helps.

• matlmatl ATMember

Too bad!
    Just run into the very same problem with this installer. Windows 7.
    See log attached.

• CraigRichardsCraigRichards USMember

I am having the same issue running Windows 8

After most of it installing fine it broke on the Android install... Log attached again (Note: this install was on the older installer linked to above).

• DaveHuntDaveHunt ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zenton,

Have a look at How To Locate the Cause of Error Code 1603 and see if anything there helps.

• CraigRichardsCraigRichards USMember

I just tried the old version and it failed as well. The error was relating to Mono for Android.