Readonly EntryCell with Tap-Event?

Hello everybody,

I have a TableView with some cells. Some of them are editable, some are not.
I would like to use an EntryCell for showing a Label and a Text in a horizontal alignment. This entry cell should NOT be editable with the keyboard, instead I want to open an other page when I click (tap) on it. In this page a value is chosen with a complex search view and set in the entry cell afterwards (so it's not possible to use a simple picker instead to accomplish this).
Is that possible somehow?

When I just add an entry cell, no tap is firing when I click in the Text-area (the keyboard is opening per default). I would have to tap at the Label-area, which is not very intuitive for setting a different Text.
When I try to set entryCell.IsEnabled==false then no tap is firing.

Or could I use a TextCell and arrange the "Text" and "DetailText" in a horizontal way somehow?

Thank you for your opinions!

• MitchMilamMitchMilam USMember ✭✭✭

You can create a custom cell and use a horizontal StackLayout or a grid

• RonaldKasperRonaldKasper ATMember ✭✭

Yes I solved it this way but I hoped that it would be possible without this "workaround".
    Thank you!

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

I need this as well : http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/81156#Comment_81156

@JasonASmith‌

Are new entry controls coming soon? If not, would it be possible to see - ahrem - some example/reference source code of how entry, label, picker and others are implemented in ios/droid/wp?

I could make my own iOS controls sure, but Droid/WP is an unknown for me at this point, and then I suppose theres the matter of fitting controls into the layout engine.

It would be nice if you could supply us with a few good examples using some of the stock controls. You know, show us how these where built, ground-up.

• AlexBrownAlexBrown USMember ✭✭

I have the same problem.

Xamarin.Forms is not quite fully baked it seems. Needs a few more features and requires quite a few work-arounds.

Perhaps on the next project I might try separate UIs that use common PCL ViewModels. Is this what more people are doing?

• RyanHatfieldOldRyanHatfieldOld USMember, Insider ✭✭✭

While they did all the work to hook up like properties on the Forms side to the Android/iOS side ... there's not as much magic behind this stuff as you guys would think. Just a very well built framework.

If you'd do a little searching you'd find a page on Exactly what you need.

... this isn't the exact base code they're using, or a few good examples... but one really good one so it should have everything you need.

Xamarin.Forms helps you share User Experience Design ... not User Interface Design. So take some extra time and make those renderers so your app looks awesome!! :)

Ryan

• JacquesBersierJacquesBersier CHMember ✭✭

In term of performance, isn't it possible to derive from ViewCell and put the required controls in the view? Is it better to build a renderer to go native?