Internet of Things: Spark.io

Hello Community,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it's the closest I could find. I am curious if there has been any thought/discussion around Xamarin's place in the emerging field of IoT (Internet of Things), and if they have given any consideration towards Spark:

http://docs.spark.io/start/

That looks pretty cool. :) Anyways, just had to ping out!

Thank you,
Michael

• CraigDunnCraigDunn USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 2014

It just so happens... we had an activity at Evolve 2014 for Monkey.Robotics.

There is a complete stack there for programming the Netduino hardware with a large variety of sensors, motors, lights, etc. Scott Hanselman just blogged about it.

We have the Bluetooth LE stack working for iOS and Android, so it's easy to build stuff that you can control from your phone using a Xamarin app. We hope to get WiFi in there too. You can deploy from Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio direct to the Netduino (debug too) while you're writing.

Using the Monkey.Robotics component I also wrote a sample that interacts with various sensors as well as a Heart rate monitor that publishes to the iOS 8 Health app.

p.s. the Spark does look cool (and so tiny), but the Netduino comes with .NET ready-to-go, so it's a perfect fit for Xamarin out-of-the-box!

• MikeEEEMikeEEE USMember ✭✭✭

Ah, that's great, thanks for the information. I wasn't so keen on IoT during Evolve, but it has been picking up since then. I am pretty excited about this concept the more I think about it.... so many possibilities. I did see Scott's post in my RSS but did not see Xamarin in the title, so I did not click it. Shame on me. :) I will most definitely check that out now.

Anyways, glad to see that Xamarin is already on the ball... as always!

• MikeEEEMikeEEE USMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

OK... next step. :)

IoT is one part of the future... how about Augmented Reality (AR)? The closest I could find online w/ Xamarin support was Wikitude, but I wasn't very much impressed with them.

Essentially, I'm thinking that IoT + AR (Iotar? :)) is the future. Maybe not for social situations (where Google Glass has taken a beating), but definitely for home and workplace, aided tremendously by headwear/HUD. I could definitely build a startup (or two!) around this as I already have a few ideas for apps and even platforms... and would be awesome to see Xamarin in this space to make it possible!