Forum Libraries, Components, and Plugins
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Content Pipeline, how do you build your content?

After fiddling a bit I succeeded in setting up a content project (monogame content project type from the monogame installer) with vs2010 that builds the proper .xnb files. By adding a reference to CocosSharp.Content.Pipeline.Importers (built from the source), I can select the proper content importers like 'CocosSharp - Plist'.

It works, but I'm finding the whole process (switching between visual studio 2010 & 2013) a bit cumbersome, so I'd like to have a setup that doesn't use visual studio 2010. Is that possible? Will the "XNA 4.0 Refresh (Visual Studio 2013)" at https://msxna.codeplex.com/releases/view/117230 do the trick? Currently I can't create a MonoGame content project in VS2013 (missing project type).

And do I still need all the old XNA dependencies like XNA studio, Phone SDK 7.1.1, etc... or is the monogame installer and XNA 4.0 Refresh (Visual Studio 2013) sufficient?

Monogame also includes a standalone windows GUI tool to build content, which works for the 'standard' content types, is it possible to add the CocosSharp importers to that tool?

How do you guys setup your content build process for CocosSharp?

• RamiTabbaraRamiTabbara AUMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Dominique,

My suggestion for now would be to exclusively use the MG Pipeline tool or the underlying command line tool MGCB where adding custom importers is supported -- see here.

But I agree the current approach is cumbersome and we'll look at ways to make this easier. Ideally, we want users to simply add native content to a VS project and not worry about manually building xnb files for different targets.