Xamarin Android Player

AnkitGuptaAnkitGupta USMember

Can I use Xamarin Android Player inside a Virtual machine?

• AnkitGuptaAnkitGupta USMember

Can someone please reply on this.?

• StefanKoellStefanKoell ✭✭ ATMember ✭✭

When I tried it, it did not work and the next day my VM started to get blue screens. I needed to delete it and start over with an image where I didn't try to install it.
    I have VMware Fusion on my Mac and run Windows 8 + Visual Studio 2013 in the VM.

• GlennJohnsonGlennJohnson USMember

I've been trying to get Xamarin up and running for days now on my Mac (Yosemite), and inside a Windows 7 VM. I am still yet to actually get the most basic application to run.

I gave up on the Windows VM altogether when it became apparent that 1) I won't be able to use HAXM acceleration inside a VM, and 2) Xamarin Android Player won't run inside a VM either.

So.. now I'm back to just using Xamarin Studio in OSX. I created a new Android application (blank) that is basically like a Hello World type thing.

I have managed to get Xamarin Android Player up and running (both of the default Nexus devices work).

BUT... When I try to run my application from Xamarin Studio it never deploys it to the emulator. It just says "Starting Nexus 4 (Kit Kat).." (despite the fact that the Nexus 4 device is happily up and running) ..

How do I get Xamarin Studio to deploy the application to this running device??? (I saw a thread that talked about dragging and dropping my adk file onto the running device to manually deploy it .. but I don't even know what an adk file is or where the file for my application would be. I did search for adk in Finder and had no luck.)

I was so excited about going up the Xamarin path instead of having to contend with Java/Eclipse etc. but so far my whole experience from manual installations to ridiculously slow SDK downloads to emulators not working etc. etc. has been SO disappointing!

Right now Java and Eclipse is starting to look good. :(

• StefanKoellStefanKoell ✭✭ ATMember ✭✭

@AnkitGupta‌
    James Montemagno wrote in his blog how he does it.
    He installs the Android Player on the Mac host and connects to it from inside the VM with adb.

See http://motzcod.es/post/100735916227/debug-with-the-xamarin-android-player-from-visual for a description including a video.

@GlennJohnson‌
    I also had many problems. It does not run completely smooth, but it does run.

Running a VM inside a VM can always be a problem so I test most of the time on real devices. This is much faster than the Google Android emulator anyway.

It is not a adk file, but apk. You can find it under your android project folder in bin/debug.

• AlecTucker.2208AlecTucker.2208 mod AUInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

The only emulator I've been able to run inside a VM is the Windows Phone emulator. I followed James' blog and use the Android Player on my Mac, deploying and debugging directly from within Visual Studio in the VM. Works nicely.

• GeorgeSerbGeorgeSerb ROMember
    edited December 2014

The functionality is still not present