This project is incompatible with this version of VS

Xamarin 3.6.197.0 (ios 7.9.21.0): when i load a solution containing PCL projects (profile 49), those projects are not opened and instead they are marked "incompatible." ...

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

Same here, one Profile7 is loading others are not for some reason.

Fun test. Create new project, add PCL, everything is fine. Reopen project and bum - incompatible.

The project is incompatible with the current edition of Visual Studio

That's exact message from Solution Explorer.

Xamarin Studio doesn't have these problems, looks like on Visual Studio is affected.

Filled a bug report 22856

• jamie94bcjamie94bc GBMember

I have the same problem with Profile78. Worst of all, I now can't develop WindowsPhone/Windows8/MonoDroid stuff either. I know it's beta but this clearly hasn't been tested properly for something this obvious and severe to slip through the net.

• JPBoroJPBoro PHMember ✭✭

Same Problem here with the Beta and Alpha Build.

The bug has been confirmed by the testing company that Xamarin outsource to (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22856) but I'm not sure exactly what that means in terms of getting it fixed as I've reported a bug with mono's implementation of DateTime.Now and it's been confirmed a week ago but no fix is planned?!

• DanielPDanielP USMember

Same here. All my PCL projects fail to open. Can't do anything now. This is ridiculous.

And all I did was to follow this latest-and-greatest blog post http://blog.xamarin.com/xamarin-ios-8/

• SandmanSandman USUniversity ✭✭

Yup . I installed the latest beta so I could be ready for the ios8 webinar and now I'm having the same issue.

• softlionsoftlion FRBeta ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

a workaround is available in bugzilla

The workaround doesn't seem to be working for me - and I've changed all profiles, not just Profile78 (or Profile7 as some were reporting).

• OrenNovotnyOrenNovotny USMember, Insider, Beta, University ✭✭

Likewise, the workaround worked for one of my PCL's but not another. A profile 136 loaded after the workaround but a profile 7 in the same solution still won't load.

• StephenWilkinsonStephenWilkinson USMember ✭✭
    edited September 2014

Our team is also halted here. The bug that MihaMarkic reported is marked as fixed - is this fix going to be on the alpha channel soon or is that going to remain broken too? QA on the visual studio toolset has often been particularly poor IMO.

Edit: Forgot to add that the workaround in the bugzilla just creates errors like: "The type 'System.Object' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.(...)"

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

One small update: a workaround for the "The type 'System.Object' ..." error has now been added the bug report as well.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22856#c26

• Ditto using PCL Profile111. Will this be fixed quickly on the Beta channel? (I don't want to switch to the Alpha channel.)

Not fixed in 3.6.223.0

• And after the last update in beta channel, running my PCL project in the debugger from Xamarin Studio - none of the breakpoints trigger. WTH with this release? I'm not fond of poking around editing stuff in my reference assembly folders because one day I will have to undo all that junk. I need an ETA on this series of screw-ups being fixed :|

• kzukzu USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

This has been fixed in the latest build we pushed to the beta channel, 3.6.245.

We will have a separate installer that will enable PCL and NuGet support for Xamarin.iOS Unified API projects, since that requires an update to the Microsoft NuGet Package Manager which is in alpha state still.

• Thanks for the update, Daniel! I'll try it out shortly... I'll be sure not to run the separate installer for now though :)

• JohnBotibolJohnBotibol GBMember
    edited September 2014

Installed 3.6.245 this morning and BOOM no usable ios projects any more. This stinks! It's supposed to be a "stable" release.
    My PCL is the only project of 3 in the solution which loads. Dan (of Xamarin?) comments that this is all fixed in this release, did anyone actually test it?
    [Edit] Actually I just re-read his post and it says "pushed to beta channel". I don't use beta, just "stable" releases so how come this has been installed though automatic updates?

• imkowJackimkowJack CNMember ✭✭
    edited September 2014

@JohnBotibol Yup, the 3.6.245 release stinks. We have the same problem.

what kind of STABLE release it is??

3.7.126 got the same problem.

• fllukeflluke USMember
    edited September 2014

I just got done updating to the latest "stable" version of the software on my mac and pc. Visual Studio/Xamarin "Synced" the iOS SDK and now my iOS project won't load anymore. Says that it's an unsupported project file. The other projects load including the shared project, but when ever I try to open a file I get the unsupported project file message.

• I've also updated to the latest beta channel on both Mac (XS 5.4 build 240, Xamarin.iOS 8.0.0.62) and PC (Xamarin 3.6.245.0, Xamarin.iOS 8.0.52.0), and sync'ed the iOS SDK, but still get the error.

@kzu are there some other steps required?

• imkowJackimkowJack CNMember ✭✭
    edited September 2014

xamarin, fix it asap.

I think this problem with iOS projects is something new. It sounds like it might be an issue where the installer isn't replacing all the files it should. I'm investigating a bit now so that the developers will hopefully be able to solve it straight away on Monday.

To make it easier to keep the iOS project load problem distinct from the PCL problem, for anyone seeing the iOS problem, let's move the reports about that to the other thread here:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/24316/ios-project-is-unsupported

• aro2468aro2468 USMember

I'm 'having the same problem using the latest version of the beta channel as of 9/24, any updates on this?

• spdjacksonspdjackson AUUniversity

I have a similar issue when I upgraded to Xamarin 3.8.150. However if I change to the alpha channel (3.9.65) the problem goes away.

• SeanFausettSeanFausett NZMember

@spdjackson‌ Xamarin 3.8.150 works okay for me. Are you using the latest Nuget?

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hey All,

For anyone still running into this issue with 3.8.150, please try updating your NuGet Package Manager.

• spdjacksonspdjackson AUUniversity

I think on am on latest. Package Manager Console Host Version 2.8.50926.663

If I change to alpha channel it all works as expected

uninstall xamarin / reboot / reinstall xamarin

• dikogadikoga USMember ✭✭

Hi guys,

This errors is annoying me, everytime I need to close my VS2013 I have to reinstall Xamarin to normalize the situation spending about 1 hour.

Is there any workaround?

I'm using VS2013, Xamarin 3.8.150.0, Nuget Package Manager 2.8.50926.663

• SmathsSmaths USMember ✭✭

I'm also looking for workaround that will solve this issue. It's very frustrating. And I'm only trying to open my project in VS because the component store won't load correctly when using Xamarin Studio on OS X. Blarg, I would love to feel like I can make some progress with this product without trying to solve Xamarin issues 50% of the time.

• PhilHarrisPhilHarris USMember

OK - Xamarin owes us an explaination of this issue.
    I too have am getting this issue on PCL projects that worked fine for ever. It is definitely a XAM issue. Can uninstall XAM and VS begins to recognize PCL projects again.
    Upon install of XAM, you can create Xam PCL App Template solution, will compile just fine. Save. Then try and reload, and PCL project wont load, and is marked as Incompatible. Profile 79
    I have another VS install on MAC, and never upgrade. Works fine.
    Very frustrating.

• workaround doesn't work for me either even when changing all profiles.

• the workaround doesn't work for me either, even after changing all profiles.