Supporting iOS 6 possible?

anveanve DEMember ✭✭✭

Hi,

I can remember that there was an option in Xamarin Studio to switch the iOS Simulator between iOS 6 and iOS 7. I also can remember that I installed iOS 6.1 Simulator as componentn in Xcode but now I can't find the instructions for this.

I want to write a new app which should support iOS 6. Is this possible because I read that Apple doesn't longer accept pre-iOS 7 apps. Is this true? So I'm not able to support iOS 6 apps? Where can I find an official statement from Apple?

If not how can I support iOS 6? I tried to find a download for iOS 6 SDK but in the developer center I can only find iOS 4 downloads. How can I download it and how do I have to set up Xamarin Studio to support iOS 6 and iOS 7?

Thanks!
anve

Best Answers

• rmaciasrmacias US ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

You can still develop iOS 6 apps. However, Apple will reject your app if it was not built with the Tools to build iOS 7 apps. So another words, apps must be build with XCode 5 and must work on iOS 7. And if you want, can include support for iOS 6 as well.

From XCode, to go Preferences and make sure you download the iOS 6 SDK/Simulator, and the iOS 7 SDK/Simulator. If you don't see it in available downloads, download them directly from the Apple Developer Center.

In your project properties, make sure you set your deployment target to 6.0 or 6.1. Under your project properties, it's under Build->iOSApplication->Deployment Target.

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DE ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If you have installed the iOS6 simulator you should also have already installed the SDK. In your app you should be aware of iOS7 only APIs. A good blog post about the topic from Xamarin to get you started.

Answers

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

You can still develop iOS 6 apps. However, Apple will reject your app if it was not built with the Tools to build iOS 7 apps. So another words, apps must be build with XCode 5 and must work on iOS 7. And if you want, can include support for iOS 6 as well.

From XCode, to go Preferences and make sure you download the iOS 6 SDK/Simulator, and the iOS 7 SDK/Simulator. If you don't see it in available downloads, download them directly from the Apple Developer Center.

In your project properties, make sure you set your deployment target to 6.0 or 6.1. Under your project properties, it's under Build->iOSApplication->Deployment Target.

• anveanve DEMember ✭✭✭

Do I need the iOS 6 SDK? Or is it enough to set the deployment target to iOS 6? Otherwise I would have to install another version of Xcode or include the folder from the package I think.

I have the iOS 6.1 Simulator already installed.

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DEInsider, University ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If you have installed the iOS6 simulator you should also have already installed the SDK. In your app you should be aware of iOS7 only APIs. A good blog post about the topic from Xamarin to get you started.