What Game Engine / Playing with Game Dev?

AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

I have an itch to create a game, not to be published, just to create one so I can say I have, but mostly as a hobbyist thing. So what Engine to jump into? Looking for experiences of people who have already done the rounds and a better understanding of which bits are compatible with which, and which are competing tech.

At the moment I'm playing with PSM Studio and A PS Vita (basically monogame), but ultimately I'd like to port the same game to iOS, Android, mac, Windows - whatever, because I can. So will CocosSharp fit within that plan, does it complement or compete. What about other engines like WaveEngine, Duality, DeltaEngine.

In essence there appears to be C# with Xamarin/Mono, Monogame as the routes to the multiple platforms (including PSM), then other XNA related bits, will CocosSharp work on Vita for example? Of course there's Unity too, but that appears to be an opposing beast in another direction.

Cheers

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

Andy,

CocosSharp is best suited for 2D games. So that should help deciding what kind of game you want to build. While we do not currently provide packages to run on PS Vita, the underlying MonoGame engine works there, so you should be able to get it going.

MonoGame is more of a toolkit to build your own engine. This is how CocosSharp works: it is just a convenient engine build on the underlying toolkit to get you 2D. MonoGame is just a lower-level framework that can be used for many different styles of games or game engines.

If you need 3D, both WaveEngine and Unity are good options. And I not know much about Duality or DeltaEngine.

Miguel

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

Cheers @MigueldeIcaza‌ I'd guessed it was along those lines, but not played with Monogame enough to understand what it does / doesn't offer natively. 2d is enough for me now, and might be an interesting exercise to try and build on the Vita, worst case I learn something!