Build Host problem

Roeland.6476Roeland.6476 USMember

Hi,
I am running Window 8 in parallels. I have installed Xamarin Studio on the Mac and in Visual Studio 2012.
I can’t get het build host to run.
My first question would be, what are you recommended setting on the network of the parallers vm?
Hope to hear from somebody soon.
Cheers,
Roeland

• josemiguel.torresjosemiguel.torres Xamurai ESXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @Roeland.6476

Just don't use NAT as network adapter. If you are not using it, tell us exactly what's happening, I mean, can't you discover the build host? can't you connect to build host?

thxs

• Roeland.6476Roeland.6476 USMember

Hi, Thx for your response!
    I have my vm network configured on default adapter.
    In my VM I can ping my host and vs, from my host I can ping my VM.
    When I try to configure my build host in Visual Studio, I am not seeing any host in the "Connect to Xamarin.IOS Build Host" dialog. When I enter my host IP address in "Configure Host Manualy", I get most of the time a failed in "Resolving Mac Server IP address. What do I do wrong?

Thx

Hi,
    I’m getting a bit further being on another network.

Now the Build Host Diagnosis in Visual Studio stops at “Connection to Mac server”. If I telnet from my VM to the Mac on port 5000, I get no results back. If I do isof –I in the mac terminal I don’t see the mtbserver. If I start the mtbserver by hand (opening it from finder), the mtbserver is not on port 5000. Every time is start the mtbserver it has a different port. Should I start the server by hand? And how can I change the port to 5000 when starting by hand?

Also in the Build Host Diagnosis I need to add my mac hostname manually.

Hope to hear from you soon

Hi,

Check the ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/MonotouchVS/mtbserver.log in the mac and "gist"/share it with us.

Regarding to the different port number you pointed out, this is the correct behavior. Don't start mtbserver manually.

Thanks!

Hi,

The Xamarin folder is not created under ~/Library/Logs/
    What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!

Could you check if you have the com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist file in /Library/LaunchAgents?

If you do, then run:

$ cd /Library/LaunchAgents && launchctl load com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist

I don't think I have that :(
    Your command also returns: -bash: $: command not found
    What to do next?

If you don't have such plist file, then you don't have mac build host server installed. Did you install Xamarin.iOS in the Mac as it's described here?

I have downloaded Xamarin Installer and installed Xamarin.iOS. I didn't install Xamarin.Android.
    I am actually working in Xamarin Studio on the Mac as we speak.

SOmehow, the mtbserver is not being installed in your Mac. Could you search for the com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist file in your Mac please?

Thanks!

I found the file in Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver. As you can read above in this thread, I can also start it. But it never opens on port 5000.
    Cheers,
    Roeland

• ViniciusJarina.0630ViniciusJarina.0630 Xamurai BRXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 2013

Hi @Roeland.6476

There is a few importante check we need to do to ensure Xamarin.iOS will work with Visual Studio.

Okay, I'll go to your check list. But since I did the install last weekend, I think I should hace all te latest.
    In the meanwhile I discovered something about the mtbserver.log.
    The article "Installing Xamarin.iOS on Windows" says:
    The build host log can be found on Mac in ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/MonoTouchVS/mtbserver.log

But the directory Xamarin is not there. I do find a log in ~/Developer/MonoTouch/mtbserver.error

Thx for all the help!

I have the latest version of Xcode 4.6 (4H127) and there are no updates in the App Store.
    I've downloaded the latest Xamarin.iOS via the direct link, installed it and restarted my mac. Ran the telnet command, but without result.
    When I run lsof -i mtbserver is not there. I also started Visual Studio and tried to run with debug. No change in the results.

Any idea for the next steps?

Ok. If the local didn't work, let's fix it first.

If the telnet fail there are two possible causes:

• Your launchd daemon was not properly loaded
    • Your firewall is blocking mtbserver.

Ensure your launchd agent is loaded:
    On terminal type:(http://screencast.com/t/szmqgbgr)

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist
    launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist

If you see any error your Xamarin.iOS was probably not installed properly on Mac.

Check if the mtbserver can receive incoming connections on the Firewall setting:
    (http://screencast.com/t/1HwdjupPbUa)

Now try the telnet again: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/6791/#Comment_6791

Hi Vinicius,

My LaunchAgents is pointing to a different file: "LaunchAgents -> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/....". I have changed this now to point to "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist"

Firewall is and has been off, so no problem there. It still seems that I have to start the build host by hand: "launchctl load /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist".

If I do that, I get a step further in VS. I now get a failure at step: "Checking for valid control connection to server."

If I now telnet from window to the host, I get a connection. If I type HELO, the return is: "ERROR: Another instance is running" but I guest that seams ok.

What's next :)

Hi Roeland.

I did not understand this part:

My LaunchAgents is pointing to a different file: "LaunchAgents -> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/....". I have changed this now to point to "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist"

LaunchAgents is a Folder inside /Library or ~/Library

???

Second:

The launchd agent must be loaded from

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist

not from /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist

This should be done by the installer.

Hi Vinicius,

I am now launching form `/Library/LaunchAgents/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist.
    This plist was not "added" to LaunchAgent, I've put it there myself. This is what I mean:

In the meanwhile I have uninstalled all Xamarin products form my Window VM and reinstalled them again. Everything seems to work now :)

Thank you so much for your help. Perhaps we meet at Evolve and have a bier over this.

Cheers,
    Roeland

Ok :D

Glad to hear everything is working now :)

See you on Evolve.

• JohnDaintreeJohnDaintree USMember

Hi Vinicius,

It looks like I have a very similar problem. I've checked that I'm up to date on all the packages but I have no build server running.

I don't have /Library/LaunchAgents/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist but I DO have /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist. ps doesn't list any mtbserver.

The server seems to be on the machine, at least I have:

find . -iname mtbserver

./Developer/MonoTouch/mtbserver.error

./Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver

./Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver/mtbserver

so no log files either.

cat ./Developer/MonoTouch/mtbserver.error

Warning: MonoTouchVS build server launchd configuration missing

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

/john

Hi @JohnDaintree

The installer will install the LaunchAgent on the right location.

Try to reinstall the latest Xamarin.iOS on Mac.

Hi Vinicius,

Yup, I tried that but it didn't help. I dropped the Xamarin apps into the trash to uninstall and then re-downloaded and reinstalled but that didn't help. Is there a more thorough uninstall procedure I should do before reinstalling?

/john

Hi @JohnDaintree

Did you install the unified installer or the Xamarin.iOS.pkg

http://download.xamarin.com/MonoTouch/Mac/monotouch-6.2.0.65.pkg

I just installed this pkg on and this is the content of /Library/LaunchAgents/

http://screencast.com/t/fXWSjTiJ3v

Check if your user has admin privilegies to install.

Hi Vinicius,

I hadn't installed that package, I'd only installed the xamarininstaller.pkg from the main xamarin site (I'd add a link to this message but the site seems to be down right now).

I've just installed the monotouch package and it didn't install the build server.

I do have admin rights, the installer asked for my password, which I provided, and it appeared to run and install OK - but still no server. I rebooted the machine too.

I do not have a /LIbrary/LaunchAgents folder at all, although I do have a ~/Library/LaunchAgents, but it doesn't contain any mono or xamarin references.

/john

@JohnDaintree

What version is your Mac OS X ?

Hi Vinicius,

It's Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

/john

Hi @JohnDaintree

If you don't have try to create the path

/Library/LaunchAgents/

path

Re-install Xamarin.iOS on Mac

Load Launch agent

• johnojohno GBMember

Hi Vinicius,

Ah ha! That helped a lot. I now have a server running, there was no need to run the launchctl separately, at least when I do so it reports "already loaded".

But (sorry),

Visual Studio can't debug the application, the output window says:

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    'Ride.iOS.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll', Symbols loaded.
    A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    The thread 'vshost.NotifyLoad' (0x1394) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The thread 'vshost.LoadReference' (0x12cc) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    'Ride.iOS.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'c:\tmp\ride.wpf\Ride.iOS\bin\iPhone\Debug\Ride.iOS.exe', Symbols loaded.
    C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime\11.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime.dll: Symbols loaded.
    The program '[0x4D4] Ride.iOS.vshost.exe: Managed (v4.0.30319)' has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).

If I run "without debugging" I get:

Error 1 MT1006:Could not install the application '/Users/johnd/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/Ride.iOS/e1fdc410-acb7-45fb-ae2b-80b695d8464e/output/Debug/iPhone/Ride.iOS.app' on the device: Executable Twiddle Failed Error (error: 0xe8000046). 0 0

Thanks for your help,
    /john

Hi Vinicius,

Well, that got me a bit further. I don't know which step did it though.

I can now debug on the Emulator from my VS2012, but it refuses to list my USB connected device in the "Target iOS platform" dropdown. Also, the icons on the iOS toolbar are all grayed out, and my understanding of the docs is that they should be available if I am connected to a build server, which I am, as I can build and run on the emulator on the mac.

Xamarin.Studio and Xcode can see the device on the mac.

Here's the bit of mtbserver.log, generated when debugging on the emulator:

Handling with command: [Info: CommmandUrl=Info] (10)
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:05] Attempting to acquire command execution lock, timeout set to 00:10:00
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:05] Starting /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch -sdkroot "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer" --listdev
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:06] stderr: error MT0010: Could not parse the command line arguments: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.

[19-Mar-2013 16:09:06] Starting /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch -sdkroot "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer" --entitlements
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:07] stdout: 0742197645d575b18742a79ca092227aa8f69719 MonoTouch Business 2014-03-14T18:35:26

[19-Mar-2013 16:09:07] Command [Info: CommmandUrl=Info] finished (10)
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:07] Starting /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch -sdkroot "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer" --entitlements
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:08] stdout: 0742197645d575b18742a79ca092227aa8f69719 MonoTouch Business 2014-03-14T18:35:26

[19-Mar-2013 16:09:08] Current MonoTouch license is valid
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:08] Handling with command: [FileManifest: CommmandUrl=FileManifest] (8)
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:08] Attempting to acquire command execution lock, timeout set to 00:10:00
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:08] Command [FileManifest: CommmandUrl=FileManifest] finished (8)
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:08] Starting /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch -sdkroot "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer" --entitlements
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:09] stdout: 0742197645d575b18742a79ca092227aa8f69719 MonoTouch Business 2014-03-14T18:35:26

[19-Mar-2013 16:09:09] Handling with command: [UploadChanges: CommmandUrl=UploadChanges] (8)
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:09] Attempting to acquire command execution lock, timeout set to 00:10:00
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:09] Command [UploadChanges: CommmandUrl=UploadChanges] finished (8)
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:09] Starting /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch -sdkroot "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer" --entitlements
    [19-Mar-2013 16:09:10] stdout: 0742197645d575b18742a79ca092227aa8f69719 MonoTouch Business 2014-03-14T18:35:26

I wonder if the bit:

"[19-Mar-2013 16:09:06] stderr: error MT0010: Could not parse the command line arguments: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list."

indicates a relevant error.

Thanks again,
    /john

Hi @JohnDaintree

Indeed, there was a issue with Xamarin.iOS on Mac.

Can you type:

/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch --version

Thank you.

Hi Vinicius,

OK, that returned 6.2.1.199. On the assumption that that was out of date (although I only downloaded it a couple of days ago). I re-downloaded Xamarininstaller.dmg, which did indeed do an update and I'm now on 6.2.1.201.

And... the build/debug cycle now seems to work. That's from a WIndows 8 VM on the Mac, I'll try from my other development machine in the office in the morning, but I suspect that that will work ok to. I'll let you know.

Thanks for your help

/john

:-)
    Ok.
    Thank you #JohnDaintree

• SiddharajsinhZalaSiddharajsinhZala USMember

Hey dear i have problem regarding Xamarin.iOS build Host. i dont know what to do make host and plz give me solution with images if it may possible thanks...

I cant detect the automatic host name. what i have to do..?

prob.jpg 224.7K
  • Bewolf2Bewolf2 KHMember, Beta

@SiddharajsinhZala, Click "Configure Host Manually" button, then add the ip of you mac build host.

i have not mac build host how can i get it i am very new and fresh with xamarin so please help me friend...

and i have windows 8 OS

• dikogadikoga ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

@ViniciusJarina

I ran in a very similar issue and I would like to let know abou my scenario.

The VS2015 wasn't able to connect the build server, I figured out that the mtbserver was not running even with de iOS Build Host opened. I don't know why, but telnet localhost 5000 got connected and responds the HELO command as expected.

So, following the instructions here I ran these two commands:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist

The second command returned a message: "com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist: Service is disabled"

Shortening the history and getting the main point, I downloaded the lastest release today and picked only the iOS option. After few hours, I decided to do the full installation and bummm, it works...

Just check if you guys have a problem on an iOS single installation...

• JonKarJonKar USMember

Hi,

I'm wondering if I could kick start this thread again,
    Since updating my OS to El Capitan (Xcode 7.2.1 if this is relevant), and then proceeded to run the update of Xamarin, it lost the Build Server in its entirety.
    I don't have com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.plist anywhere on the Mac, I have tried uninstalling Xamarin, then reinstalling, with no resolve, to uninstalling the Xamarin iOS, and reinstalling, and still nothing....

Nothing in "/Library/LaunchAgents" relating to Xamarin
    The only thing on the Mac which has anything to do with BuildServer at this point is a Unix executable file in the root called "preinstall" which links to buildserver files that don't exist.

Some other posts I've read state to check for updates within Xamarin, but it says mine is up to date.

What would you recommend I do?

Thanks
    Jon