What is a good yet inexpensive Windows Phone that can be used for testing?

ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

I'm an Android user (Nexus 5), and I have an old iPhone 4 that I use for testing iOS stuff.

I'm now using X.Forms and would like to test against a WP device as well. What's a good, yet inexpensive WP device?

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

You can buy a Lumia 521 or 520 very cheap brand new. Best deal I saw was MetroPCS selling one for $29 with a rebate. I would opt for Lumia 920 from E-bay though, decent condition phone would be around $100. If you know how to change a broken screen, Lumia 920 from $40-60 w/ cracked screen + $20 for a new screen.

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

I've been wondering the same thing - as @Skall mentioned, you can get a no-contract 520 for $59 from Microsoft

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/No-Contract-Nokia-Lumia-520-for-AT-T-+-Free-Case/productID.300181200

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

The features missing from 520/521 are compass and front facing camera. If your application does not use these it's a good phone for the money. The 920 as a phone is much nicer though if you plan to use the phone at all, it was their WP8 flagship phone when introduced and if you like to take pictures it still has one of the best cameras out there (optical image stabilizer hardware).

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

Chances I personally will never ever use this phone for anything other than testing. That being said, this is good info for the next guy looking for the same info with different needs... thanks @SKall

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah the Lumia 520/521 make great test devices. If you can make the app run on that phone, then it will run on pretty much any device. It's also the best selling Windows Phone because it's so inexpensive off contract. It has the most market share among Windows 8.x phones.