Component Licensing and Redistribution

GlennWilsonGlennWilson USUniversity ✭✭

In general, is it the intent that Components in the Component store be available for redistribution at no additional charge beyond the purchase price of the component? I am hoping that this is the intent, but ...

Will that vary? And should I expect to study each license agreement (or have someone do so) to make that determination? Or, could that information be summarized on the main component page?

I ask because the license agreement for the Download manager pretty clearly seems to say (IANAL) that I can't redistribute it (except for evaluation copies). Am I missing something?

The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as follows: ##(a) Installation and Use. Appracatappra, LLC. grants you the right to install and use copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your computer running a validly licensed copy of the operating system for which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT was designed. [Example: Windows OS, Android OS, iOS, Mac OS X, etc.] ##(b) Backup Copies. You may also make copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT as may be necessary for backup and archival purposes.

You may not distribute registered copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to third parties. Evaluation versions may be available for download from Appracatappra, LLC.'s websites (or other sources) and may be freely distributed.

• NatFriedmanNatFriedman USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited February 2013

Glenn, our intent is definitely that you can buy a component, build it into your app, and ship the app for no additional cost above what you paid for the component. That should be part of the contract between the component store and you.

Some components will be licensed on a per-developer basis and it will be up to you to pay for each of your developers who are using the component (we do not plan to implement a DRM system to try to enforce this).

The DownloadManager license looks like it doesn't adhere to this principle. We'll get in touch with them to get it fixed, and make sure that our submission process includes a clear affirmation of this you-can-ship-your-app-at-no-additional-cost principle. Despite this, there may be cases where a component doesn't meet this principle, which is why we make the license visible to you before purchasing the component.

Thanks for pointing this out.

• GlennWilsonGlennWilson USUniversity ✭✭

That is the sort of answer I was hoping for. Thanks!

• KevinMullinsKevinMullins USMember, Beta ✭✭

Hi Glenn/Nat,

I'm the CEO and Chief developer of Appracatappra and let me say that I'm sorry for the confusion with our license.

It was definitely our intent that you only have to purchase the component once and then it is free to use in any work that you create with no additional fees or licenses.

The license is only meant to protect the component from being illegally distributed to other developers, not the end user's of your product.

I'm having the license revised clarifying "you-can-ship-your-app-at-no-additional-cost" and a new version will be delivered to Xamarin Monday.

Thank you both so much for pointing this out to us and if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Again, sorry about the mixup!

Kevin

@SerKevin,
    I appreciate you following up on that. I figured it was just a "bug" in the license and not your intent. But, we can't ignore what the words say.

Another consideration for you. I noticed that many of the licenses are using a standard Xamarin license including other third parties. In a large company (at least the one that I used to work for) the cost of legal review for a one-off license can easily exceed the cost of the component. And the time to get it a review done could exceed the window of opportunity for the component sale. If you could use some existing common license agreement it might make sales easier.

Thanks,

Glenn

@GlennWilson, thanks again for getting back to me and pointing this out in the first place.

Before starting Appracatappra I had the good fortune to work for several Fortune 500 and 100 corporations in managerial positions so I do understand your concerns over the licenses and the legal review times and fees. I've had projects held up for months while legal reviewed the licenses.

From what I can see, the standard license that you are speaking of is the Apache License which is for Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). To my knowledge there is no standard, common license for for-sale development components. If there was, we would definitely use it.

We do have several different components currently under development for the Xamarin Component Store and they will all use the new, revised license so a company purchasing more than one of our components would only have to review the license once.

A new version of the component has been submitted to Xamarin and should be available in the store shortly.

Here are the two relevant sections of the new license:

(a) Installation and Use.

Appracatappra, LLC. grants you the right to install and use the "designtime" development environment copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your computer running a validly licensed copy of the operating system for which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT was designed. [Example: Windows OS, Android OS, iOS, Mac OS X, etc.]

and

(b) Distribution.

You are granted the license to use and distribute applications developed with the "runtime" version of this SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a royalty-free basis, given that the application includes the SOFTWARE PRODUCT as an integral part, in machine language format, compiled within your application only. You may not distribute, bundle, wrap or subclass the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is such a way, which when used in a "designtime" development environment, exposes the programmatic interface of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may distribute, on a royalty-free basis, the "runtime" redistributable files compiled within your application only.

Until the new version is released, I can provide the full license to anyone who requests it.

Again, we do appreciate all of the feedback and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

The license I was thinking of is apparently being used by several non-free third party components and is titled "Xamarin™ Software License Agreement". Here is a link to one use in the Component store:
    http://components.xamarin.com/license/brown-leather-theme

I haven't "studied" it and I'm not endorsing it just saying that it seems to be common on the store. Also, I obviously don't know if it suits your needs. I have a project coming up that may benefit from your component and I plan to take a closer look in a week or two.

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn,

Ah... I missed that one, thanks for pointing it out!

Please let me know if you have any questions about the component when/if the time comes, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks again,

Kevin