Starter Edition license confusion

SamuelKingSamuelKing USMember

I recently registered for Xamarin starter edition, but only seem to be able to deploy "evaluation" versions of the test applications I've built because I get the evaluation warning when the application starts up on my Android phone.

How does one get their applications down below the 32K size limit? All of my APK's, even for "Hello World" are over 500K.

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

only seem to be able to deploy "evaluation" versions of the test applications I've built because I get the evaluation warning when the application starts up on my Android phone.

That sounds like you've started a 30 day Trial. The Starter edition shouldn't create a splash screen; the Trial edition will.

How does one get their applications down below the 32K size limit? All of my APK's, even for "Hello World" are over 500K.

The 32KB size limit is not the size of the .apk. It's the combined size of all of "your" assemblies -- assemblies not provided with Xamarin.Android such as mscorlib.dll -- minus the size of any embedded resources.

For example, consider the HelloWorld project. When building it, bin\Release\HelloWorld.dll is 4608 bytes (~4.5KB), which is under the 32KB limit. The .apk, meanwhile, is 3.4MB.

• SamuelKingSamuelKing USMember

That sounds like you've started a 30 day Trial. The Starter edition shouldn't create a splash screen; the Trial edition will.

OK, then how do I switch it to a "Starter" license?

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

OK, then how do I switch it to a "Starter" license?

Please email support@xamarin.com.