Xamarin ... Native Source Code ?

BasemBasem EGMember

Hello Xamarinians,

I am looking to develop some mobile products, I came across Xamarin and it looks like a really great tool, however, i've some questions that i couldn't find answers to, I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with them

1. Does Xamarin produce native source code? not just native assembly
  2. If i design the c# Xamarin using a dependency injection pattern and/or other design patterns, is the generated code will be following the same directions?
    so that if i build a hot fix to replace one used library in my c# Xamarin app, will that new library have an equivalent native one?

Thank you, can't wait to be part of the community :)

• JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
    edited May 2014
    1. I don't believe so, I'm sure some witchcraft and wizardry can happen to make that possible though. (If you are referring to making a reusable JAR from Xamarin.Android, same thing for Xamarin.iOS)

2. Using Dependency Injection / IoC will allow you to decouple your software into modules that you can plugin to wherever you need them as individual building blocks. So I'm guessing you're asking if you can replace these easily? The answer would be yes!

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

for #2, this is not possible in iOS because all of your code is compiled into a single inside of a signed package. You cannot selectively replace parts of the package - you must redeploy the entire package.

I think the same is true on Android, but there may be workarounds.