Native Printing with Android

MichaelBluesteinMichaelBluestein USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in Xamarin.Android

Read the full article: "Native Printing with Android" on the Xamarin blog.

Please use this thread to discuss or ask questions.

• RobertEchtenRobertEchten USMember ✭✭

Cool stuff. Do you know if there are plans to release this functionality to older versions of Android through a support library?

• MichaelBluesteinMichaelBluestein USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭

Hi Robert,

There is limited support for printing in the support library via the PrintHelper class, which allows printing bitmaps. As far I've been able to tell though, this still only works in KitKit, as seen in the source here, where systemSupportsPrint only returns true for api level 19 (and above):

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/support/+/android-4.4_r1^1/v4/java/android/support/v4/print/PrintHelper.java

Apparently it's there so you could include the feature for an app that runs on KitKit but targets an older API level, where you would downgrade the feature when the app runs on an older device/sdk (at least that's the best explanation I could come across).

• Naresh.5185Naresh.5185 USMember

Hello,

We are in the process of migrating a Compact Framework application to cross platform (ios, android and windows phone 8) in that project we have used Nice Label software to print label.  As per Nice Label support, Nice label will not work  in CP.  Please provide me some reference to print labels in cross platform.

Thanks,
    Naresh K

• Naresh.5185Naresh.5185 USMember

How to add zebra type printer in Settings --> Printing. Please let me know.

• Do you know if i can print using OTG Cable ?

• Jason.3113Jason.3113 USMember

Is it possible to print without showing the user the print dialogue screen?

We are building a kiosk style app that will print stickers for visitors and we don't want them to have to select a printer. We would like to set the printer in a config file and the print job automatically goes there without user interaction.

• SteveSpormannSteveSpormann DEMember ✭✭

Hi,

the thread is a little old now, but I need an answer to my quesion, is it possible to send a html string via depandency services to a calss implementing a webview wich is not displaying to print html dokuments?

I allways fail due the webview constructor, that always remains null, it propably needs to be laoded in the current activity, but that seems impossible when my ui is written in xamarin forms .

has someone a solution?

• prakashprakaprakashpraka INMember

Is it possible to save pdf without showing the user the print dialogue screen?

• AndreasMReiffAndreasMReiff DKUniversity ✭✭

This is also an issue for me. Is it possible to save pdf without showing the user the print dialogue screen?

• UthistranUthistran USMember

I am new here.
    Trying to print a image by taking this post as reference. but unable to do.
    What actually does the method "WritePrintedPdfDoc (destination)" contains?
    Also, can I get a simple sample to print an image from anyone.?

• BharathiBogaBharathiBoga USMember ✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying to print image through your post ,it is working fine on emulator.but when i run in release mode that app was crashing.pls help me i am new to this xamarin android.

• BappiBappi BDMember ✭✭

Please give me a sample project of print in xamarin forms cross platforms

• abdalhasanabdalhasan IQMember

please give me code to print image to bluetooth printer