Android Xamarin developer needed

WillThomas.6583WillThomas.6583 GBUniversity ✭✭

Hi, We are a small company based in Bristol (UK). I have been using xamarin to develop a mobile app for Android, which is basically a data collection tool used in conjunction with our main desktop application. I need help developing aspects of this app, mainly GPS and mapping functionality. The mapping functionality would include looking at using tools like google maps and open street map but more importantly we need to look at using our customers own GIS files (Shape files, Tab Files, etc. - we handle these OK in our desktop app and could export map data in any format for use on the Android device). Or maybe someone could point me to tools that may help with this.

If anyone has some spare time to work with me on this, ideally in or near Bristol but could work using Skype if you are not local. Happy to pay an hourly rate or something but would need to discuss this and depends really on quality of work etc.. Going forward, we would probably have more work, we may also look at porting to Xamarin for Ipad/Iphone at some point which is way out of my comfort zone + I don't have enough hours in the day.

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Saeid,
    If you haven't already resolved this, please feel free to contact me - james(at)microsec.co.uk.

• matthewlagassematthewlagasse USMember

Hi Saied

I'm not sure if you still need help or not being that your post was almost a year ago, however after reading your problem description it sounds alot like you are working on something similar as me. Could you let me know if you still need help, as I'd be willing to work with you on your project as some of the components will be useable from within my project (or vice versa). If you have already resolved your problem that's even better if you'd be willing to share some of your code. Could you please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks!!

• WillThomas.6583WillThomas.6583 GBUniversity ✭✭

Hi, we ended up using this: http://www.nutiteq.com/ with some bindings to get it working with Xamarin which has done the job. Though we use our desktop app to create "mbtile" files from shp, tab, etc. (you will probably want to read about mbtile) for it to use (which was not easy if I'm honest, involved reprojection and looping through maps and taking images grabs etc - I know there are other tools that can do this but we had good reason to develop something for ourselves). For info the GIS component we use in our desktop app is http://www.tatukgis.com which has served us pretty well.