How to setup version control for a local repository?

I would like to setup version control locally. I see that there is a version control menu in xamarin studio and the option to select "file" as the protocol but I cannot understand how to make it work.

I have installed the GitHub app, and I can successfully commit changes to a remote repository in Github, but I would like to do the same for a local repository from within xamarin studio. Any ideas about how can this be done?

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

Unfortunately there's no simple way to create a local repository from within Xamarin Studio. However if you follow this guide ( http://www.vogella.com/articles/Git/article.html#firstgit_repocreation ) you can create a local repository and then Xamarin Studio will interact with that like it would any normal git repository.

• I have allready created a local repository in my mac. The problem is what should I enter in the xamarin studio version control dialog, to connect to it.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

If you open a solution that's in a git repository checkout, Xamarin Studio will detect the repository.

• SuchithSuchith INMember ✭✭✭

But it throws the exception after check out, when made push changes
    exception detail:

NGit.Api.Errors.InvalidRemoteException: Invalid remote:
    at NGit.Api.PushCommand.Call () [0x001e3] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/30c4afc3/source/monodevelop/main/external/ngit/NGit/NGit.Api/PushCommand.cs:168
    at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.GitRepository.Push (IProgressMonitor monitor, System.String remote, System.String remoteBranch) [0x0004b] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/30c4afc3/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/GitRepository.cs:1277
    at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.GitService+c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0 (System.Object ) [0x0001f] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/30c4afc3/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/GitService.cs:69