Ideas for other test devices

MichaelMuegelMichaelMuegel ✭✭US ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Xamarin.Android

So far I have:

• Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6, Android 2.2
  • Samsung Galaxy S, Android 2.2
  • Asus/Google Nexus 7, Android 4.1

I'm thinking of buying a used Xoom 10" with Android 3.x to cover larger tablet and 3.x.

I'm wondering if there is are one or two "problem" device(s) that I should pick up that has high usage numbers (I don't care too much about the 1% devices) and might cause glitches. I've heard of possible problems with heavily skinned devices. Any recommendations?

I know I can do a lot on emulator, but really like live devices for Android dev. I've seen the thread about cool "run your APK on our lab devices" services, but this is for making sure I get initial UI/etc right from the get go.

Thanks.

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth Xamurai CAXamarin Team Xamurai

Not to sure about "problem devices", but I'd suggest picking up a Gingerbread (API Level 10) device too. They account for ~ 55% of the market right now, according to Google's Dashboard.

• MichaelMuegelMichaelMuegel ✭✭ US ✭✭

I'd suggest picking up a Gingerbread (API Level 10)

Good point. I am still very new to Android and don't use it in "real life", so I had assumed Android 2.3 is close to 2.2. I'll try to find a super low end / inexpensive 2.3 device since so far even the Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6 seems super snappy through my app.

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth Xamurai CAXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 2012

swapp.com looks promising for acquiring a few test devices.

Personally, I like the Nexus One.

• NicWiseNicWise mod NZMember, Insider, Beta mod

I have a Samsung Ace (2.3) and a Nexus 7 (4.1?), and I'm going to ask a friend who has around 10 devices of various flavours to do some adhoc testing for me.

Plus, if you use the emulator (esp the x86 ones - see my blog http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/2012/10/15/android-x86-emulator-what-a-difference/ and Willem's post), I think you can cover things like "oops, I called the wrong method" type things.

The x86 emulator makes Android almost on par with iOS for simulator testing :)