Is the Alpha channel a "must-have" requirement for all classes?

Hey AFAIK Alpha channel was advised for the XS IDE editing of Storyboards. However in a few projects I'm currently working on, The Alpha channel has some bugs with PCL's which do not occur in stable. In some projects opening my Storyboard in XS IDE ends up messing up my storyboard which isn't the case with XCode.

So switching between Alpha(for classes) and Stable(for normal projects) on a daily basis are going to be a real pain.

Is it fine if we only switch to Alpha on the days for iOS specific modules?

Currently in Win 8.1 with VS2013 to switch back from alpha to Stable, I need to uninstall everything xamarin and re-install it as the installer doesnt allow a downgrade. Then I got to do the same on the mac

Best Answer

Answers

• ajtajt GBUniversity ✭✭

I have a similar issue. I see that Xamarin provide VMs, so I'm going to try that approach.

• VivRajkumar.6029VivRajkumar.6029 GBUniversity ✭✭

Cheers Mark,

Gonna try Alpha during the iOS sessions and just keep it on the Mac. So I don't then have to switch to Win at all for these sessions.

OSX toggle from Alpha to stable is pretty simple compared to Windows. so shouldn't be too bad hopefully :)

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Yes, that's a good point - the switch from alpha to stable/beta is quite easy on the Mac - it needs to be improved on Windows to match ;-) Good luck!

Mark

• MattCMattC CAMember, University

Good to know. I had a similar concern. I'll switch back to stable and wait for the next update with the designer included.

• DanielHarmanDanielHarman USUniversity

That's awesome news as having the same issues with alpha being... kinda alpha... ;)

• davidbarrettdavidbarrett USUniversity ✭✭

@BryanCostanich‌, any update on iOS designer being moved to stable? I heard it may have moved yesterday, but I'm not seeing any updates on the stable channel.

Am doing active production development, so would prefer not to have to switch between Alpha and Stable multiple times a day. :)

• bryancbryanc USMember, Xamarin Team, XamUProfessors Xamurai

No yet. There were some issues with it that needed to be resolved before we promoted it to stable.

• davidbarrettdavidbarrett USUniversity ✭✭

Okie doke. Thank you for the update. Good luck getting all the bugs squashed. Looking forward to seeing it stable ... on stable. :)

• BryanCostanichBryanCostanich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Me too! I'd love to get everyone off of alpha. :)