Forum Visual Studio
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Auto-complete a little too keen

BradRobinsonBradRobinson AUMember ✭✭✭

Sometimes XamStudio's auto-completion drives me nuts.

For example. If the file I'm working in already has a using UIKit; but not using System.Collections.Generic declaration and I type List<, it's automatically completed to UIPrintInteractionPaperList<. I need to backspace over that and type List[escapeKey]< but muscle memory causes me to never remember to do that.

Now imagine I'm trying to type this member variable declaration:

List<int> _myList = new List<int>();

I need to type

List[escapeKey]<int> _myList = new List[escapeKey]<int>(); [homeKey, Resolve -> Using];

I've tried doing the Resolve->Using after typing the first List<int> but that's not available until after I've typed the variable name. So the other way to do it is:

List[escapeKey]<int> _myList[homeKey, Resolve -> Using, endKey] = new List<int>();

If XamStudio was to suggest UIPrintInteractionPaperList but not automatically complete it, things would be much smoother:

List<int> _myList = new List<int>();[homeKey, Resolve -> Using]

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Two features that may help with this:

• Edit->Toggle Completion Suggestion mode. Then it will always suggest instead of completing.
    • Text Editor -> Completion Behavior -> Show Import Items. Then List`1 will show up in completion regardless of usings.
  • BradRobinsonBradRobinson AUMember ✭✭✭

Perfect! Thanks.