Monogame with xamarin for simple 2d games, how to make it work?

Hi, i ve only used xamarin with android sdk and now i want to build a game with c# and monogame.
I got to monogame site but after seeing documentarion and tutorials i still not able to got how to set my ide for it.

I download a mpack format monogame fileand i dont know what to do with it...

Can someone help me out please

• GuillermoGutierrezGuillermoGutierrez ESMember ✭✭✭

If you're already familiar with Cocos2D, I'd recommend you Cocos2D-XNA that runs on top of MonoGame on Android and iOS.

Here you have a complete tutorial for iOS. The only change for Android would be the project type and any other platform-specific code (iCloud, GameCenter, etc).

• SheepssjSheepssj BRMember
    edited October 2013

I sorry i forgot to say, i want to build games for windows only... like running from desktop or something you know?

im used with actionscript 3.0 but as im working with c# i want to become the best in it and i want to make 2d simple games for windows... i really searched for engines and framworks but i want something simple like flash develop with starling and be able to build a game really simple and fast... using .Net of course

Any tip please help =)

Sorry but if you're creating games only for Windows, why use Xamarin or MonoGame at all? Xamarin is used to compile .Net applications for iOS, Android and Mac and MonoGame is a open source implementation of Microsoft's XNA.

Anyway, my response is still valid though, and even more if you have a Adobe Flash background because Cocos2D learning curve will be very fast for you.

I actually am doing android and iOS apps in my job i just wanted to make a simple 2d game for windows using c# so i can learn more about the language... so its impraticabile?

I think I don't get you. C#, .Net and XNA are the native development environment for Windows games. Xamarin allows you to write C# .Net apps for iOS, Android and Mac. MonoGame allows you to port your XNA games to iOS, Android, Mac, and many other platforms.

If are only targeting Windows platforms, you are not going to use Xamarin at all, and MonoGame is not required.

But, as I previously stated, Cocos2D-XNA allows you to write 2D games using Cocos2D framework on top of XNA using C# and .Net.

Oh you are right, and thanks for the explanation i was misuderstanding it all ^^

Have a nice day o//

• tohweitohwei USMember ✭✭

@GuillermoGutierrez

Hi,
    I tried the Gonebanana tutorial. It is a good tutorial and walkthrough.
    Well, I am looking for a source code about how to handle drag/or follow my finger movement for the monkey instead of touch event. Just wondering you have anything to share?

Would be appreciated if you can share the source code, if any.

Thanks,.
    Jeff

Hey @tohwei, I think that you can reuse code from this other tutorial. It's a good practice too.

Cheers!

• tohweitohwei USMember ✭✭

Thanks @GuillermoGutierrez
    Another challenge to convert them to c#... huhhh.