Forum Xamarin.iOS

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

From VS 2019 6.8 recommended way to edit storyboard is by editing them in Xcode on Mac

JovanoJovano USMember ✭✭

Good day,

In VS 2019 for Windows a message is displaying to warn one of the coming changes, namely that in the future storyboards should be edited on the Mac. This page explains how to edit a storyboard on the Mac by having the project open in VS for Mac and then 'calling' Xcode for the editing: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/user-interface/storyboards/

What remains unclear to me, is how VS for Windows still features in the new approach. We have been using VS for Windows paired with a Mac to edit our storyboards in a Xamarin.iOS project.

Should one completely stop using VS for Windows and now use only VS for Mac?

If one can still use VS for Windows, how do you open the project (sitting on the Windows pc) in VS for Mac in order to use Xcode for the storyboard editing?

And if one should no longer use VS for Windows, how do you migrate a project to Mac?

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Perhaps there is documentation on this I was unable to find yet.

Best Answer

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

We can't edit storyboard on windows, but the other part works on problem , if we're developing Xamarin.iOS without storyboard(design the UI in code) , we can still choose VS for Windows .

And if one should no longer use VS for Windows, how do you migrate a project to Mac?

Just copy the project to your mac , both vs for mac/windows can run the project .

Xamarin forums are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the Xamarin forums’ new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to this sticky post.

Answers

Accepted Answer

We can't edit storyboard on windows, but the other part works on problem , if we're developing Xamarin.iOS without storyboard(design the UI in code) , we can still choose VS for Windows .

Just copy the project to your mac , both vs for mac/windows can run the project .

We invite you to post new questions in the Xamarin forums’ new home on Microsoft Q&A!

• BrianConradBrianConrad USMember ✭✭✭

I think the only Storyboard Xamarin developers need is the LaunchScreen which is shown while Xamarin is loading otherwise you get a black screen during that. If you don't have one of those from a previous project there are simple ones in some of the iOS projects in the Xamarin sample repos in the iOS/Resources folder. It's just an XML file and you can replace the background color with what you want and the logo graphic. No real need to use Xcode on the Mac.

edited March 1

@BrianConrad said:
    I think the only Storyboard Xamarin developers need is the LaunchScreen which is shown while Xamarin is loading otherwise you get a black screen during that. If you don't have one of those from a previous project there are simple ones in some of the iOS projects in the Xamarin sample repos in the iOS/Resources folder. It's just an XML file and you can replace the background color with what you want and the logo graphic. No real need to use Xcode on the Mac.

He's developing Xamarin.iOS not Xamarin.Forms, Storyboard is needed if he wants to build the UI in design interface .

Refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/user-interface/storyboards/indepth-storyboard?tabs=macos.

• deondkdeondk Member ✭✭

@ColeX said:

Hi @ColeX This is still not a straight forward answer to me...I have worked with VS on windows for the past couple of years with a Virtual machine running mac for the xcode connection. So now you mean to say that it will be impossible for me to continue developing my Xamarin.ios app on windows? Would an option be to revert VS back to previous version? I won't be able to develop on the Virtual machine because of speed issues...So then I assume the only option is to buy a MAC?

• deondkdeondk Member ✭✭

@Jovano What did you do to get back to working on your ios xamarin apps again?

• JovanoJovano USMember ✭✭

@deondk said:

I make a copy of my solution and open it on the Mac, then edit the storyboards as per instructions in the link I provided. Afterwards I copy only the storyboards back to my original solution on the Windows pc and compile. I believe one can compile directly on the Mac, but I hate the interface and even remote desktop to a Mac is painful.

• deondkdeondk Member ✭✭

@Jovano said:

@deondk said:

I make a copy of my solution and open it on the Mac, then edit the storyboards as per instructions in the link I provided. Afterwards I copy only the storyboards back to my original solution on the Windows pc and compile. I believe one can compile directly on the Mac, but I hate the interface and even remote desktop to a Mac is painful.

Do you use xamarin forms or xamarin.ios? Also I assume you have a dedicated mac and not a virtual machine?

• JovanoJovano USMember ✭✭

Xamarin.ios and dedicated mac, aye. Not to complain, but I think I now know how someone feels who often has to switch between left-hand and right-hand steering. :D