Forum Xamarin.Mac

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Xamarin Mac development on Big Sur / M1 processors?

MichaelBothMichaelBoth AUMember ✭✭✭

Hello all

I've tried to research the potential for development issue (i.e. using VS / Xamarin) on Big Sur / M1 processors, or for application issues (i.e. from the users side), but - I guess because it's still very much 'early days' - can't find any reports of problems. Purchasing a new M1-based machine is a non-trivial investment just to 'try and see', so I was wondering if Xamarin for Mac developers might have any first-hand experience in this area, or perhaps the Xamarin team might have some information to share.

FWIW, our Xamarin-developed Mac application (that we developed on Catalina / Intel processors), seems to work just fine on Big Sur / Intel, or at least we haven't found any problems and none of our users have so far either.

Mike

Tagged:

• IvanIcinIvanIcin USMember ✭✭✭

On Github they have reported that Visual Studio works without any known issues on Rosetta.

Other than that it is not yet published (as far as I know) when (or even whether) will Xamarin.Mac support universal binaries and ARM compilation.

So basically if you buy a new Mac with M1 it will work but it won't bring you anything over your current Mac if you use Xamarin.

• RonnyCSharpRonnyCSharp DEMember ✭✭

Hi,

I've seen a youtube video in which Xamarin iOS Development was successfully tested with a Simulator on Apple Silicon.
    There is a huge performance improvement on Xcode, therefore I would expect I faster build time even on
    an emulated (x86) Visual Studio on a Mac. From all the benchmarks, and all what I've seen about M1, I purchased a M1 Macbook pro. It's on the way. Perhaps I can tell you more about it in the future.

I hope there will be a ARM-Specific Version of Visual Studio available someday.

Best regards
    Ronny

• MichaelBothMichaelBoth AUMember ✭✭✭

Yes, I understand the potential performance benefits are quite significant.

It'd be really great if you could relate, even briefly, your M1-based experience with VS once your new machine arrives, Ronny.

• FrankWerneburgFrankWerneburg DEMember ✭✭

I recently purchased the MBPro M1 base (8GB) model. What I can tell so far is, that my Xam.Forms projects are working well. The iOS debugger also works well. The overall performance is also better than my old MBP 2016 i5 16GB.