Forum Xamarin.Forms

How to specify order of elements in the Accessibility UI for screen readers etc?

JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

How can the order of elements in the Accessibility Tree (a.k.a. Accessibility UI) be specified for a Xamarin.Forms app? In a native iOS app I would override accessibilityElements, but XF doesn't seem to have an equivalent.

The order required for a particular page is not the same as Left-Right, Top-Bottom even in locales where the visual UI would be read that way, nor is it the same as the tab order (i.e. IsTabStop + TabIndex combination) of the visual UI. The order for accessibility needs to include some elements that have IsTabStop = false for the visual UI. Also, I am not using Shell.

Answers

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

TabIndex is used to specify order of elements .

And The docs says IsTabStop is true by default , when its value is false the control is ignored by the tab-navigation infrastructure .

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@ColeX said:
    TabIndex is used to specify order of elements .

The problem is that the order required for the Accessibility UI (a.k.a. accessibility tree) is not always the same as the tab order in the Visual UI.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

I've logged an enhancement request at https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/13006

In the meantime, I'm investigating ways of doing this using custom renderers and a dependency service. It's made painful by things being internal, and methods being non-virtual, in the built-in renderers.