Prevent rows from being editing using MonoTouch.Dialog

How do I intercept the call to bool CanEditRow (UITableView tableView, NSIndexPath indexPath) when using MonoTouch.Dialog?
I have elements that I don't want to make editable when the TableView enters editing mode. Overriding CanEditRow on my subclass of DialogViewController does not work as this method is not called, presumably because a DialogViewController uses its own TableSource.

I have looked for methods and properties on the elements that could be overridden or set to make them no editable(a natural place to do it I think) but I can't find anything. Thanks for your assistance!

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DEInsider, University ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014

I solved this problem like this. At first I placed all elements I don't want to be editable in her own section. Then I implemented the source and override CanEditRow:

public override bool CanEditRow(UITableView tableView, NSIndexPath indexPath)
        {
            if (Container.Root [0] == Container.Root [indexPath.Section])
                return false;

return true;
        }

Update: My source is from type DialogViewController.Source, just to mention.

• Thanks for your suggestion Sabastian. I have tried overriding CanEditRow in the dialogviewcontroller but it is not being called. I believe the reason it is not called is that dialogviewcontroller uses its own tablesource which prevents that from being called on the dialogviewcontroller. With this understanding I am at a loss to see how you were able to make it work.

• How do you tell DialogViewController to use a subclass of source? If this were a normal table view I would just set it myself. But with the DialogViewController it is handling this all by itself I think. I figured this is where it is storing my elements.

• Thanks for setting me on the right track Sabastian. There is a virtual method in DialogViewController that sets a UITableViewSource of subtype Source to the DialogViewController. This method is CreateSizingSource. By overriding this method it appears you can substitute you own subclass of Source which itself implements CanEditRow.