Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Xamarin Android is adding READ_PHONE_STATE permission by default.

Deba22Deba22 Member ✭✭

I have tried to publish my app in Google play console, in the end the APK that is compiled by VS/Xamarin says it uses permission READ_PHONE_STATE, therefore requires a privacy statement URL to be present to roll out the app. I'm not sure how this permission is being added. I don't have it enabled in AndroidManifest.xml.
Any idea how this is being added?
Is there a workaround to remove this permission? something like

Answers

• Deba22Deba22 Member ✭✭
    Something like this:
     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" tools:node="remove"/> 

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 15

It maybe happening because some third-party library uses this function but you do not add permission in manifest .

You need privacy policy for the app If your app handles personal or sensitive user data .

Refer to https://stackoverflow.com/a/41310870/8187800 .

• Deba22Deba22 Member ✭✭

@ColeX Thanks for your reply. Yes I do understand that I need to add privacy policy for the app as the READ_PHONE_STATE is considered as a dangerous permission. But I did not understand how that permission is being added in first place. As you say it may be added by some 3rd party plugin that I have used. Currently I managed to remove it by adding the below the below line in AndroidManifest.xml:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" tools:node="remove"/>

I will have to test my app functionality to check if removing that permission has affected anything.