Forum General

Unable to sign-up to become a Xamarin Developer (?!?!)

GTCGTC Member ✭✭
edited September 2020 in General

As the title reads; and even less able to contact Microsoft Support to help with the situation. Hence the reason I'm posting here for any pointers as to how to get around having that Dev Account opened. To cut the story short, I'm getting below white trying to enroll as a developer:

1. Live Account updated, valid Credit Card registered as payment method
  2. Using same personal details when registering.

All-in-all, everything that complies with the requirements yet being given this glamourous & mysterious 2201 error no matter what I try.

I'm neither given a venue for support, instead being re-directed to the Microsoft Partner Center portal and when I click on "open a support ticket, I am given the following:

The BIG question: how did you guys possibly managed to register as esteemed Microsoft Developers with those impediments? please enlighten me!

ps. thanks in advance for any pointers to get this resolved.

Best Answer

• GTCGTC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020 Accepted Answer

Update:

Microsoft successfully resolved this mysterious error 2201, in my case. If this happen to anyone else, best to get in touch with MS Support to get this looked at.

I am officially an Inspired and Happy Xamarin Developer. Unleash the creativity!

Thank you
    GTC

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@GTC

You don't need to sign up to Microsoft Partner Center in order to develop with Xamarin

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/get-started/installation

• GTCGTC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020

That's great to know, thanks. I'm guessing I could distribute packages to users that way too.
    I was left under the impression that to distribute via Microsoft App Store you needed a verified/paid Developer Account, hence the reason I'm trying to comply with the requirement... which is proven rather difficult and mysterious so to speak (I'm still clueless, among quite a few others enjoying the same error, as to what Error 2201 is).

For the record; I've had a MS Support Engineer contacting me since OP. Neither he knew what E.2201 was, however asked for the steps to be reproduced and be recorded for further investigation at his end.

edited September 2020

@GTC said:
    That's great to know, thanks. I'm guessing I could distribute packages to users that way too.

Developing doesn't require Microsoft Partner Center. However, distribution via the store is different - see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/package/packaging-uwp-apps#generate-an-app-package-upload-file-for-store-submission , in particular https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/package/packaging-uwp-apps#create-your-app-package-upload-file-using-visual-studio . The wizard mentioned in that section helps create the Partner Center account if necessary.

• GTCGTC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Good info, thanks for linking up.

On a more pressing note; the developing/packaging part isn't an issue at this stage, at all. We are far from the packaging and/or app submitting processes as we are still struggling to understand the error #2201 given at registration when a developer account is being requested.

The first tier support at Microsoft admit being equally clueless as what 2201 means however have forwarded this enquiry to a higher tier support for investigation.

If we can get passed the registration we'll then have a look at UWP, the actual development tools & requirements and of course the packaging options. At this stage there is no point developing anything and even less thinking of packaging.

Hope this helps understanding the situation better.

@GTC said:
    Good info, thanks for linking up.

If you find responses helpful, don't forget to mark them as Accepted Answer or Like them :-)

• GTCGTC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020 Accepted Answer

Update:

Microsoft successfully resolved this mysterious error 2201, in my case. If this happen to anyone else, best to get in touch with MS Support to get this looked at.

I am officially an Inspired and Happy Xamarin Developer. Unleash the creativity!

Thank you
    GTC