Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Is there a Linux Desktop UI for C# that can target .netStandard 2.1?

I'm doing a desktop app for a .NetStandard2.1 library (at Ditto.live) and just ran into a wall with Linux.

I'm very happily using Xamarin Forms with the WPF and macOS backends but seems like GTK backend is stuck at .NetStandard 2.0.

Is there any way forward? I'm willing to switch to another, hopefully XAML-based UI but it needs to work with .NetStandard2.1.

The entire point of this sample is to have a C# app running that's fairly close to the toolkit. I don't really want to do an arms-length HTML talking to ASP.Net - we already have such examples.

As of Sep 2020, it seems both the alternatives, Uno and Avalonia, are stuck at .NetStandard 2.0.

This is an inhouse project and so can't justify changing the main library to multi-target .NetStandard 2.0 and 2.1 just to get this particular utility up and going.

Tagged:

Answers

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

If you use visual studio, you can set the Target framework by right clicking your app ->Properties .
    Then you can select the Target framework as you want.

• AndyDentAndyDent AUMember ✭✭

Sorry I didn't explain things clearly enough for you.

I cannot add a reference to the .NetStandard 2.1 Xamarin Forms library - it's listed as incompatible.

GTK uses .NetFramework so is stuck at .NetStandard 2.0 as per this closed issue 859