Forum Xamarin.Mac

How can I use native dylib in my project?

I was looking for any information, but most of it is about iOS.
I have third-party dylib libraries. How can I include them in my solution? What is dylib binding project? Should I use it?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• VolodymyrSavchenkoVolodymyrSavchenko UAMember ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@ChrisHamons said:

I don't know how, but it was enought to copy my .dylib files to my macOS project and then add native references to those files.
    That's all!

Answers

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/platform/binding

But yes, almost all of the documentation is iOS flavored. The process is pretty much identical.

You can either use binding projects to bind obj-c libraries and native libraries and "raw" p/invokes to call C APIs.

edited September 17

@ChrisHamons said:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/platform/binding

But yes, almost all of the documentation is iOS flavored. The process is pretty much identical.

You can either use binding projects to bind obj-c libraries and native libraries and "raw" p/invokes to call C APIs.

Can you tell me please, what are the key differences in using binding project on iOS and macOS?

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Off the top of my head:

• The input dylib/frameworks have different architecture slices. iOS almost always has multiple to cover simulator and device. macOS are often but not always x86_64 these days.
    • The process of creating a C# definition to map to the objc is the same, except the base types (UIKit vs AppKit classes)
    • The output (a managed dll with the lib embedded by default) is the same.
    • Use (include a reference in your app project) should be the same.
    Accepted Answer

@ChrisHamons said:

I don't know how, but it was enought to copy my .dylib files to my macOS project and then add native references to those files.
    That's all!