Forum Xamarin Xamarin.Android

MQTT implementation in my app

Hey developers
I am trying to build a wherein I need switch on and off devices I did some digging and found MQTT is helpful i such cases can someone help me on how exactly this is done also what mqttbroker is free
any help would be appreciated

Tagged:

Answers

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

For this, you can check : https://github.com/xamarin/mqtt

From the README.md in above link , we could find the Usage samples
    1.Creating and connecting an MQTT client with default options:

var configuration = new MqttConfiguration();  
      var client = await MqttClient.CreateAsync("192.168.1.10", configuration);
      var sessionState = await client.ConnectAsync (new `MqttClientCredentials`(clientId: "foo"));

2.Creating and connecting an MQTT client specifying configuration and clean session:

var configuration = new MqttConfiguration {
        BufferSize = 128 * 1024,
        Port = 55555,
        KeepAliveSecs = 10,
        WaitTimeoutSecs = 2,
        MaximumQualityOfService = MqttQualityOfService.AtMostOnce,  
        AllowWildcardsInTopicFilters = true };
      var client = await MqttClient.CreateAsync("192.168.1.10", configuration);
      var sessionState = await client.ConnectAsync (new `MqttClientCredentials`(clientId: "foo"), cleanSession: true);

For more specific information about the MQTT protocol, please see the latest Oasis spec.

• NitishsantpurNitishsantpur Member ✭✭✭

@jezh thanks for acknowledging I am a novice I just wanted to know if we need a webserver for this
    also, can the local SQLite database be connected to the webserver
    Will surely look into it thanks for reply

From the official document MqttServer.cs , we will find it is MqttServer not webserver.

can the local SQLite database be connected to the webserver

This feature requires the client to communicate with the server, rather than the database directly exchanging data with the server.

If you enter key words xamarin mqtt in https://github.com/, you will see many samples about this.

thanks will try

Hi @Nitishsantpur , how are you doing? I’m writing to check if provided information is helpful. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you. :)

Ya actually I am a novice in xamarin development I have installed mosquitto on my device for localhost and it works fine I am struggling to find on how to publish, subscribe on click events in xamarin. I have not used GitHub before and It is hard for me to find stuff there can u please give the code specific to what I may need.
    thanking you in anticipation

Ya actually I am a novice in xamarin development I have installed mosquitto on my device for localhost and it works fine I am struggling to find on how to publish, subscribe on click events in xamarin.

What nuget have you installed? There should be some introduction and usage samples we can refer to.

yes, I installed system.mqtt.net and mqqtnet.extensions.managedclient

edited September 18

private async Task Button_ClickedAsync(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    var configuration = new MqttConfiguration();
    var client = await System.Net.Mqtt.MqttClient.CreateAsync("127.0.0.1", configuration);
    var sessionState = await client.ConnectAsync(new System.Net.Mqtt.MqttClientCredentials(clientId: "lens_3Ts6GxST4IkR25qghmQL0qILRv1"));

var message1 = new System.Net.Mqtt.MqttApplicationMessage("test/", Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes("Foo Message 1"));
            await client.PublishAsync(message1, MqttQualityOfService.AtMostOnce);

}`

I've tried this for publishing and it says Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error Position 7:34. EventHandler "Button_Clicked" with correct signature not found in type "Iot.test"

System.Net.Mqtt.MqttClientException '
    also this is what I get when I remove the button and run

System.Net.Mqtt.MqttClientException '
    also this is what I get when I remove the button and run

Could you please post a basic demo so that we can try to test on our side?

edited September 22

the code above is what I am using the one I sent

I found you have posted an issue here: https://github.com/xamarin/mqtt/issues/185

For this question, we don't have a test environment, you can continue follow it up in above link.

Thank you for your support of xamarin.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

edited September 25

okay
    thanks