Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Future of Xamarin and .NET 5

AlexKeyAlexKey USMember ✭✭

Recently I came across this article about .NET 5 (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-5/). I can summarize the article with ".NET 5 to rule them all". Actually I saw similar comments there. There is also this line in the article "Expand the capabilities of .NET by taking the best of .NET Core, .NET Framework, Xamarin and Mono.". So, in November of 2020 we are supposed to get a .NET version which will be totally cross-platform including, as I understand, UI. There are no details about UI API. Can somebody from Xamarin team shed a light what to expect? I believe at this point of time it should be known. Is it really going to be unified API for UI development and it will work on all platforms? Will Xamarin be the base of it? I can also guess that UWP API might be taken as the base one.
Here is the thing. We need to port our UWP to cross-platform, to make it work on Android and iOS. By all means we'd like to avoid wasting time and do porting twice. Let's say we port it to Xamarin now and in November we'll have an announcement that UWP becomes the cross-platform API or even worse, something else will become the cross-platform. On the other hand I don't want to wait half a year to find out that by the cross-platform they meant exactly Xamarin. Does anybody know what to expect in this regards?

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

.Net 5 is a separate language. It won't base on .Net core(uwp) or mono.
    The blog has claimed clearly that we plan to evolve the two runtimes individually, and also together. The new language will have its own Apis which cover the .Net core and Mono for runtime parts.
    It will be released in November and all mysteries will be solved then. However, there's still a long way to go now.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@LandLu said:
    .Net 5 is a separate language. It won't base on .Net core(uwp) or mono.

.Net isn't a language.

@LandLu said:
    The blog has claimed clearly that we plan to evolve the two runtimes individually, and also together.

I'm not sure individually and together is that clear ;-)

That blog article is an interesting teaser, but it also raises a lot of questions. Will be interesting to see what results.

• gpcarettigpcaretti Member
    Xamarin Forms will turn to .NET MAUI – single project and code-base dev experience.

Transition to .NET MAUI should be almost painless as .NET MAUI comes with controls and API-s already present in Xamarin Forms.

Search for "Introducing .NET Multi-platform App UI" on the web
  • SteveShaw.5557SteveShaw.5557 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited September 9

re "in November of 2020 ... including, as I understand, UI."

No - at least not in 2020. The UI is, as gpcaretti says, ".NET MAUI", which is on a longer time-frame. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-multi-platform-app-ui/ says: "We will begin shipping .NET MAUI previews later this year, and target general availability with .NET 6 in November of 2021.".

Xamarin Form's Roadmap shows the transition:

• Final Xamarin Forms is 5.0, due out at the end of September 2020. Previews of the new Maui code base are mentioned.

It now being "six months later" than the original question, there is no longer any doubt: Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android have been pulled in as part of .NET 5; Xamarin Forms is evolving into MAUI. Microsoft has doubled-down on the Xamarin approach, as essential components of their complete cross-platform solution.

• njsokalskinjsokalski Member ✭✭✭

I, like AlexKey, need to convert my UWP apps to Android. I would like to see step-by-step tutorials for creating apps for using .NET 5. Also, being that the purpose (or maybe it would be more appropriate to say one of the purposes) of .NET 5 is to be cross platform, I don't think it would be inappropriate to ask for a conversion guide of UWP XAML vs Xamarin.Forms XAML. I also want to make all these same statements about .NET MAUI that will be coming with .NET 6. I want to start learning what is necessary ASAP, so I think step-by-step tutorials and very detailed documentation would be very advantageous.