Forum Libraries, Components, and Plugins
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Can Xamarin use the same Android SDK folder with Android Studio?

I have Android Studio installed on my machine and I'd like to learn Xamarin. To save the disk space, after installing Visual Studio, I tried changing the Xamarin's Android SDK location to be the same folder as Android Studio but seems the Android Tools on Visual Studio cannot recognize the SDK tools which have been installed (from Android Studio) So, I wonder that "can Xamarin use the same Android SDK folder with Android Studio?" If so, how to configure it?

This seems not an issue on MacBook (my company's device) but only on Windows machine (my own computer)

Best Answer

Answers

• RedRaRedRa Member ✭✭✭

Yes, I am using the same SDK that Android Studio uses ...

In Rider I have set Build, Execution and Deployment -> Android -> SDK Components

• NarinNarin Member

@RedRa said:
    Yes, I am using the same SDK that Android Studio uses ...

In Rider I have set Build, Execution and Deployment -> Android -> SDK Components

Thanks for your answer. I got this message when chang the SDK path to the same Android Studio

"SDK needs repair
    You may not be able to build Android projects while the SDK in this state. The components in the SDK can be repaired automatically by reinstalling their recommended versions. Would you like to repair it?"

Now, I skip it because I afraid it will harm the existing Android Development Environment. Any suggestion?

• NarinNarin Member

@RedRa said:
    It is because you use Visual Studio and Microsoft works with its own Android SDK, that is why it wants to repair it ...
    If you will use Rider then you should not have this message ;)

Ok, understood! It's clear to me now. I've never heard about Rider before, will try. Thank you very much for your kindness help.