Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Set security on an offline app

3NRY033NRY03 Member ✭✭
edited September 5 in Xamarin.Android

Hello:

I made an application which simply do calculation, is completely offline, i would like to export the app in an apk file, but i don't know if it's safe.
Should i add something to keep in safe my app, or is it already safe as it is, without adding any security string?
Thank you.

Answers

• ExoskeletorExoskeletor Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 5

You mean if someone can see the source code from apk? if yes then its possible, what you need is called Obfuscation , check these links:
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/xamarin/protecting-xamarin-apps-dotfuscator/
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36423030/obfuscation-in-xamarin-projects

If your app is doing simple calculations then why you want to secure the source code? Keep in mind that i think with some Obfuscation methods you will get strange exception reports, you should only need to secure your app only if indeed your source code contains magic worth stealing for (in which in that case, maybe you should move this code to an online source and get the results from an API maybe?)

• 3NRY033NRY03 Member ✭✭
    edited September 5
    Thank you for the answer,
    I didn't write, in the first comment, that I don't care about someone who could stole my equations, those are findable everywhere in internet.
    I care about some virus which could use my app for enter in my phone, or something like this.
    I would like to know if it's not a problem, because i don't find someone who tell that is all ok about security.
    And I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with someone telling me that the apk it's safe, without adding security strings.
  • 3NRY033NRY03 Member ✭✭

@Exoskeletor

Sorry this I see now that I have not quote the comment to you.
    I copy it here:

Thank you for the answer,
    I didn't write, in the first comment, that I don't care about someone who could stole my equations, those are findable everywhere in internet.
    I care about some virus which could use my app for enter in my phone, or something like this.
    I would like to know if it's not a problem, because i don't find someone who tell that is all ok about security.
    And I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with someone telling me that the apk it's safe, without adding security strings.

• ExoskeletorExoskeletor Member ✭✭✭

Well if you are the one who makes the apks then you know if they have virus inside or not. Building a custom apk and installing it in your mobile is safe.