Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Does Xamarin native include any default fonts or font families?

stuart_Astuart_A Member ✭✭
edited July 27 in Xamarin.Forms

I'm looking at setting the font for the app I'm currently working on.

I'm okay with simply adding a .tff file and marking it as an embedded resource, but I'm wondering if there might be a set of in-built fonts that can be accessed without needing to add anything extra like that.

For example, I could just write FontFamily = "FontFamilyName" and it will know what to do already. Similar to specifying certain font styles in web development.

I know the default font library for each platform will be different. What I don't know is what those defaults are (if any). Is there a list somewhere? Googling seems pretty sparse on results.

Cheers.

Tagged:

Answers

• stuart_Astuart_A Member ✭✭

So I've found this: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/List_of_fonts_included_with_each_device

Obviously isn't official documentation from the respective platforms, but is a good start I think.

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 28

You can get the font information by adding a DependencyService and generating a new control to see what is the default font name.
    For example in iOS you'll be able to achieve this as following:

var fontFamily = new UIKit.UITextField().Font.Name;

And in UWP:

new 
     Windows.Globalization.Fonts.LanguageFontGroup(CultureInfo.CurrentUICulture.Name).ModernDocumentFont.FontFamily

Of course, the link you post is also valuable.

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @stuart_A ,have you resolved your question?