Forum Xamarin.Forms

Prism DI with event attached in constructor

ledragonledragon Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi,

I am using the following repo in my Prism XF app to select multiple images from the gallery.

https://github.com/CrossGeeks/MultipleMediaPickerSample

If you check the issues you'll notice there is an issue with the code:

https://github.com/CrossGeeks/MultipleMediaPickerSample/issues/1

I don't really want to go down the route of using Messaging as most answers suggest but if you read this comment...

https://github.com/CrossGeeks/MultipleMediaPickerSample/issues/1#issuecomment-563190605

...osamaelhosany suggests using the IOC container. I'm trying this method as follows:

public class AndroidInitializer : IPlatformInitializer
    {
        public void RegisterTypes(IContainerRegistry containerRegistry)
        {   
            containerRegistry.RegisterSingleton<IMultiMediaPickerService, MultiMediaPickerService>();
        }
}

Then resolving in MainActivity OnActivityResult as so (I've removed SharedInstance in MultiMediaPickerService):

var multimediaPickerService = (MultiMediaPickerService)((PrismApplication)Xamarin.Forms.Application.Current).Container.Resolve<IMultiMediaPickerService>();

multimediaPickerService.OnActivityResult(requestCode, resultCode, data);

In the ViewModel the interface is injected as normal and I am attaching the event to OnMediaPickedCompleted in the ViewModel constructor.

_multiMediaPickerService.OnMediaPickedCompleted -= CreateImageBanks;
_multiMediaPickerService.OnMediaPickedCompleted += CreateImageBanks;

I am noticing that each time I navigate to the page the event is being attached again via the ViewModel constructor. That is to say the first time I enter the page and select Images from the Gallery, CreateImageBanks is fired once. The second time I enter the page and select Images from the Gallery, CreateImageBanks fires twice. The third time...and so on.

Can anyone offer any explanation as to why?

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• ledragonledragon Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Gave up and used MessagingCenter

Answers

• YelinzhYelinzh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I am noticing that each time I navigate to the page the event is being attached again via the ViewModel constructor.

To avoid this issue, try to create a global static bool property to detect if the images have been loaded. For example, create a property App class in the normal xamarin.forms project.

App.xaml.cs

public partial class App : Application
    {
        public static bool IsLoaded;
        public App()
        {
            InitializeComponent();

MainPage = new NavigationPage(new MainPage());
        }
    }

Page.xaml.cs

public partial class MainPage : ContentPage
    {
        public MainPage()
        {
            InitializeComponent();

if (App.IsLoaded == false)
            {
                //load the data
                App.IsLoaded = true;
            }
        }
    }

@YelinZh . I need to understand a little more about how the ViewModels work with Prism I think for that to work. The constructor is firing every time I navigate to the view. I've implemented IDisposable and noticed Dispose is not called between when I navigate away from the view then navigate to it for the second time so presumably there are 2 instances in memory.??

Accepted Answer

Gave up and used MessagingCenter