Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Xamarin Fomrs: Issue with text to speech feature for HTML data.

SreeeeSreeee INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I am using the Label for showing HTML data on UI with TextType="Html" property. That feature works well and on UI HTML content gets converted to normal text.

I am also implemented text to speech features using Xamarin Essentials. When the TTS function starts I am highlighting the corresponding text using span property.

When the TTS function starts, the normal text gets converted into HTML data. How I fix this issue?

Screenshot:

enter image description here

I have uploaded a sample project here for the reference.

Best Answers

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 10 Accepted Answer

We need to convert the html string first before setting span attribute , Regex could help .

public static string GetHtmlText(string html)
    {
       html = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(html, @"<\/*[^<>]*>", "", System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);
       html = html.Replace("\r\n", "").Replace("\r", "").Replace("&nbsp;", "").Replace(" ", "").Replace("\n\n\n", "\n");
        return html;
    }

Usage

//xxx
          string content = GetHtmlText(chapterDetails[0].htmlData);
         //xxx

Accepted Answer

As joe said , format string only works with TextType Text , you should switch it back when clicking button .

label.FormattedText = formattedString;
                    label.TextType = TextType.Text;
                    await TextToSpeech.SpeakAsync(content);

Answers

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to hazard a guess that when you set the FormattedText property it wipes out the TextType value, thus turning your HTML into plain text.

edited July 10 Accepted Answer

We need to convert the html string first before setting span attribute , Regex could help .

public static string GetHtmlText(string html)
    {
       html = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(html, @"<\/*[^<>]*>", "", System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);
       html = html.Replace("\r\n", "").Replace("\r", "").Replace("&nbsp;", "").Replace(" ", "").Replace("\n\n\n", "\n");
        return html;
    }

Usage

//xxx
          string content = GetHtmlText(chapterDetails[0].htmlData);
         //xxx

• SreeeeSreeee INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColeX

Working fine on android. On ios and windows platforms, when TTS starts the UI will be blank.

Accepted Answer

As joe said , format string only works with TextType Text , you should switch it back when clicking button .

label.FormattedText = formattedString;
                    label.TextType = TextType.Text;
                    await TextToSpeech.SpeakAsync(content);

• SreeeeSreeee INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColeX UI blank issue gets resolved after adding TextType.Text; But in windows, the text highlight is not working. For android and ios, space between the words is not added properly.

Screenshot: