Forum Visual Studio

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Hot Restart issue - provisioning profile centrally managed

The main requirement to use Hot Restart is to follow the Microsoft doc'd steps to set up our environment ("Manual provisioning for Xamarin.iOS"). We've run into troubles downloading the provisioning profiles (step 4 of the "Download provisioning profiles in Visual Studio" section). Seems the call to Apple's services to do so are not working for our user accounts. That part of the Visual Studio UI just spins. Using the "Create Certificate" button works. So, connectivity doesn't seem to be the issue. It seems to be a permissions problem. Our accounts are reduced privilege ones. What can I tell our admin to try to get this to work?

• JeremyBridges.8966JeremyBridges.8966 USMember ✭✭

Would we be able to place the provisioning profile and certificate files someplace on disk? Would that be enough?

• JeremyBridges.8966JeremyBridges.8966 USMember ✭✭

One of my colleagues was able to get this to work. First, he exported his signing certificate and provisioning profile from XCode on his Mac. Second, he copied the provisioning profile to:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Xamarin\iOS\Provisioning\Profiles

Finally, he imported the certificate using the "Import Certificate" button in Visual Studio:
    - Open Tools - Options - Xamarin - Apple Accounts
    - Select team, click View Details...
    - Click Import Certificate

Unfortunately, this did not fix my issues. He is on Visual Studio, version 16.5.4. I'm on 16.6.2. Error I get now is "0xe8008016 (The executable was signed with invalid entitlements.)". Happens during the VerifyingApplication stage. Any ideas?

CreatingStagingDirectory. Total progress: 5%
    ExtractingPackage. Total progress: 15%
    InspectingPackage. Total progress: 20%
    TakingInstallLock. Total progress: 20%
    PreflightingApplication. Total progress: 30%
    InstallingEmbeddedProfile. Total progress: 30%
    VerifyingApplication. Total progress: 40%
    Unhandled Exception: Xamarin.iOS.Windows.WindowsiOSException: Failed to install the application: ApplicationVerificationFailed(3892346902) - Failed to verify code signature of /private/var/installd/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.2Hhgbj/extracted/Payload/SE.Geospatial.Mobile.Viewer.iOS.app : 0xe8008016 (The executable was signed with invalid entitlements.)
    at Xamarin.iOS.Windows.Installer.ApplicationSession.OnInstallProgressReport(IntPtr command, IntPtr status, IntPtr userData) in E:\A_work\963\s\src\Tools\Xamarin.iOS.Windows.Launcher\Installer\ApplicationSession.cs:line 325

• JPickettJPickett Member

Using the wizard in Visual Studio to set up hot restart didn't work for me either because my Apple developer permissions are limited, too. I was able to get it working by placing my provisioning profile in the directory mentioned above: C:\Users\AppData\Local\Xamarin\iOS\Provisioning\Profiles. I also had to delete my bin and obj folders and delete the hot restart folder: C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Xamarin\HotRestart. It would be great if the wizard let the user browse for the required files if it can't create they because of permissions.