Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Whats the difference between Axml and xml

meirrotfleischmeirrotfleisch USMember ✭✭✭
Hi 👋
I downloaded some source code from tutorials. I can't understand why in the Layoutvfolder there are both the axml and xml (same names same layout)

Which are really needed??

M.R..

• jmatherjmather USMember ✭✭

Use xml.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/57228562

.axml is nothing more than an extension hack that was used to render Android Layout Files i.e. Android flavored .xml files inside Visual Studio. It literally meant .axml (Android XML).

We previously lacked infrastructure to interpret flavored versions of .xml files coming from all different types of workloads. However in 16.2 and 8.2 respectfully (Visual Studio and Visual Studio for mac), you can use .xml seamlessly in your application and be provided a layout editor, rich intellisense, and more.

If you don't require a layout editor, you have been able to use .xml since the first release of MonoDroid as .axml is processed the same way as .xml at the end of the day.