Forum Xamarin Xamarin.Forms

Dynamic app name and app icon in Xamarin.Forms

mjdevelopermjdeveloper Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi guys
I'm new in Xamarin Form.
I developed an Application for a lot of customers. They have their brand, special logo, different web service address, etc. How could I have one app for them and don't customize the app for name and shortcut label and icon?
Are there any ways to do that?
Sorry for the poor English.

Best Answers

• mjdevelopermjdeveloper Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Finally, I Create two templates of the current Android and iOS projects. when a customer orders my app then I create new android and ios from templates and customize the package name, icons, app name and etc.
    A Solution with a lot of projects!

thanks @JohnH .

Answers

edited September 2019

Thanks, John for your response. That's helpful.
    I want to have one app in the stores.
    If I would have a web service and give each customer a unique code and then change the icon and label of the app after installing according to customer specifications, name, logo, etc.
    Is this solution good?
    My customers are many and I can't customize the app for all.
    They like to have their name and logo on the application.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

You will need to research if changing the app icon is possible or not on Android, and also how to do it on iOS. I know it is possible on iOS but the user must be prompted, it isn't automatic. You will need to check if that process works for you.
    Your approach does mean however that when you build the app you will need to have all the icons, in all the right sizes, for all your different customers built in. The urls you can fetch from a web server.
    Also, I don't believe the app name (you are referring to it as label) can change dynamically at all. I could be wrong but I have never seen it on either platform.

• LeonLuLeonLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

In the IOS, I found a similar thread you can refer to it.
    http://sumeyyaarar.com/en/xamarin/xamarin-forms-ios-uygulamasinda-dinamik-olarak-ikon-degistirme/

In the android, Based on my research, it cannot be achieved in android 8.0 later.

Oh man, you're right. I forgot the size of the icons. It's very difficult. Changing the app icon and shortcut label is possible. But
    I think, my customers have to install the app with my brand and my icon.
    I know they won't accept this.

What is your solution?
    My customers are schools and educational institutes.
    What would you do for about 3000 customers?

I think that hard to achieved, no matter Icon size or short cur label, after the android 8.0, there are no suitable ways to achieve that.In the IOS, If you dynamic change the icon, it will pop up a alert that told users about this operation to change the icon, that is unreasonable.

> @LeonLu said:
    > I think that hard to achieved, no matter Icon size or short cur label, after the android 8.0, there are no suitable ways to achieve that.In the IOS, If you dynamic change the icon, it will pop up a alert that told users about this operation to change the icon, that is unreasonable.

It's very hard to customize the app for a lot of customers.
    But I have to customize each one. :-(

Yes, that‘s a long process.

Accepted Answer

Finally, I Create two templates of the current Android and iOS projects. when a customer orders my app then I create new android and ios from templates and customize the package name, icons, app name and etc.
    A Solution with a lot of projects!

thanks @JohnH .

• a4akashjhaa4akashjha Member

@mjdeveloper I have similar requirement, could you please elaborate your solution when you say, Created two templates and changing the package name, icon app name etc what exactly do you mean? Are you doing it manually?