Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Load startup model in platform project code and pass it to PCL on Xamarin Initialization

The application I'm currently working on requires data to be retrieved from a web service during app startup that roughly takes 1.5 seconds. After the data is retrieved, it needs to be displayed on the MainPage and that is another 1.5 - 2 seconds since the data is mostly URLs of images that have to be displayed, in my case, using ffimageloading library; which means actually downloading those images first to be displayed. I have splash startup screens for both Android and iOS implemented separately in platform projects but splash screen only stays up for the amount of time Xamarin Forms needs to load and afterwards disappears not waiting for my actual model to load from the web service. I have searched for solutions to extend the splash screen duration and mostly every solution I have read involves creating another splash screen page, loading page if you will, that is already controlled in PCL project but having two separate splash loading screens just seams not feasible for me at the moment. So I was wondering, how would one load the initial model in platform projects, during the actual splash screen, and then later pass it to PCL project when Xamarin Forms has finished initialization, presumably to App.xaml.cs 's App() constructor function?

Answers

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 31

You can create a new Activity/ViewController(same background as splash screen) to handle the logic(download image etc.) ,and pass the data via messaging center to Forms project when everything was completed .