Forum Visual Studio

Updated VS and now cannot debug app?

JKnottJKnott Member ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I had this problem in the past with the preview version of Visual Studio, and rather than dig into it just went back to the regular version of VS.
I got a message saying that I had to update, and now that I updated VS I am getting this odd issue with attempting to debug my app.
Here is the results in the output window

03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Assembly Loader loaded assembly from location: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3.dll'.
    03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Config attempting to parse: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3.dll.config'.Sequence contains no elements

03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Config attempting to parse: '/Users/builder/jenkins/workspace/archive-mono/2019-10/android/release/sdks/out/android-x86_64-release/etc/mono/assemblies/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3.config'.
    03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Assembly Loader probing location: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android.dll'.System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
       at Mono.Debugging.VisualStudio.SymbolsAdapter.CheckForSymbols(String path) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\src\Debugging.VisualStudio.Vsix\Integration\SymbolsAdapter.cs:line 105
       at Mono.Debugging.VisualStudio.SymbolsAdapter.RefreshSymbolPath(String assemblyPath) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\src\Debugging.VisualStudio.Vsix\Integration\SymbolsAdapter.cs:line 74
       at Mono.Debugging.VisualStudio.SymbolsAdapter.OnAssemblyLoaded(Object sender, AssemblyEventArgs e) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\src\Debugging.VisualStudio.Vsix\Integration\SymbolsAdapter.cs:line 62
       at Mono.Debugging.Client.DebuggerSession.OnAssemblyLoaded(String assemblyLocation) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging\Mono.Debugging.Client\DebuggerSession.cs:line 1261
       at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleAssemblyLoadEvents(AssemblyLoadEvent[] events) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging.Soft\SoftDebuggerSession.cs:line 2071
       at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleEventSet(EventSet es) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging.Soft\SoftDebuggerSession.cs:line 1709
       at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.EventHandler() in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging.Soft\SoftDebuggerSession.cs:line 1640

03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Image addref Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android[0x76b8eae39100] (asmctx DEFAULT) -> /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android.dll[0x76b8f28da800]: 2
    03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Prepared to set up assembly 'Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android' (/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android.dll)

I can see that there is something going on with the sqlite library, but nothing has been changed in my code, and it worked fine previous to the update.
Can anyone please give me an idea on what to do to fix this? I can run the code fine as a release build, but debugging is completely dead.

I will try to compile all my logs and post them in a few minutes.

Any help desperately appreciated!

Danke!
Cheers!
Jesse

Best Answers

Answers

• mashkurmashkur Member ✭✭

I updated my VS 2019 Enterprise Edition to 16.5.0 version and now the debugger will not stop at any breakpoint.

• JKnottJKnott Member ✭✭✭

Yikes! I'll post this over on the VS blog from MS... This is definitely not acceptable. I understand this is the community version so I don't expect the same support and reliability as the enterprise level, but it should at least function...

I'll update this thread if I get any feedback from MS.

In an effort to debug my problem, I have tried eliminating the libraries that the errors were being reported on, but once I remove one lib and attempt to build and debug, it reports another one, I get the impression that this appears to be something along the lines, that the debugger is using LINQ to build a list of debug symbols from the library, but is failing to get the list. This is resulting in the failure, so that when I remove the one lib, it catches on the following one that it encounters.

I have tried installing and testing using the preview build 16.6.0 and have the same experience.

I have this posted on the visual studio forum, and will share what results I get there, but so far have not heard anything back.

• CarlosSantos.2644CarlosSantos.2644 USMember ✭✭

@JKnott said:
    Hey everyone, I had this problem in the past with the preview version of Visual Studio, and rather than dig into it just went back to the regular version of VS.
    I got a message saying that I had to update, and now that I updated VS I am getting this odd issue with attempting to debug my app.
    Here is the results in the output window

03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Assembly Loader loaded assembly from location: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3.dll'.
      03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Config attempting to parse: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3.dll.config'.Sequence contains no elements

03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Config attempting to parse: '/Users/builder/jenkins/workspace/archive-mono/2019-10/android/release/sdks/out/android-x86_64-release/etc/mono/assemblies/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3/SQLitePCLRaw.provider.e_sqlite3.config'.
      03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Assembly Loader probing location: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android.dll'.System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements
         at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
         at Mono.Debugging.VisualStudio.SymbolsAdapter.CheckForSymbols(String path) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\src\Debugging.VisualStudio.Vsix\Integration\SymbolsAdapter.cs:line 105
         at Mono.Debugging.VisualStudio.SymbolsAdapter.RefreshSymbolPath(String assemblyPath) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\src\Debugging.VisualStudio.Vsix\Integration\SymbolsAdapter.cs:line 74
         at Mono.Debugging.VisualStudio.SymbolsAdapter.OnAssemblyLoaded(Object sender, AssemblyEventArgs e) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\src\Debugging.VisualStudio.Vsix\Integration\SymbolsAdapter.cs:line 62
         at Mono.Debugging.Client.DebuggerSession.OnAssemblyLoaded(String assemblyLocation) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging\Mono.Debugging.Client\DebuggerSession.cs:line 1261
         at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleAssemblyLoadEvents(AssemblyLoadEvent[] events) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging.Soft\SoftDebuggerSession.cs:line 2071
         at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleEventSet(EventSet es) in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging.Soft\SoftDebuggerSession.cs:line 1709
         at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.EventHandler() in E:\A\_work\2914\s\external\debugger-libs\Mono.Debugging.Soft\SoftDebuggerSession.cs:line 1640

03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Image addref Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android[0x76b8eae39100] (asmctx DEFAULT) -> /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android.dll[0x76b8f28da800]: 2
      03-17 18:10:35.598 D/Mono    (11094): Prepared to set up assembly 'Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android' (/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.KnightRaven.ShootersToolbox/files/.__override__/Syncfusion.Buttons.XForms.Android.dll)

I can see that there is something going on with the sqlite library, but nothing has been changed in my code, and it worked fine previous to the update.
    Can anyone please give me an idea on what to do to fix this? I can run the code fine as a release build, but debugging is completely dead.

I will try to compile all my logs and post them in a few minutes.

Any help desperately appreciated!

Danke!
    Cheers!
    Jesse

did you solve friend? same problem here

• Will.ItraxWill.Itrax CAMember ✭✭✭

@JKnott Thanks for posting about this. I upgraded to VS 16.5 today and now get this as well.
    @Cybersheep I'll follow your lead and downgrade.

• Ed_SEd_S NLMember ✭✭

same problem here, when trying to debug from windows in an ios simulator

@Ed_S Sadly that's the only fix I have found...
    Someone with MS said there was a fix in the latest builds of visual studio, but I have tried all of the stable and preview builds as of last night as still have the same problem.
    I'm going to have to stick to the older release myself as well. If you see a fix please update this thread, I'll try to do the same.

Cheers!

edited March 26

@CarlosSantos.2644
    The easiest way to downgrade is to download the version you want (16.4.5) from here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2019/history

You will need to download the Professional version, and when you install, you will have to stop the professional installation and select the community version, which will be an option.

When I did it, the installer immediately launches into the selection of options for the professional installation. I clicked the "X" at the top right of that selection page, and had the normal option to choose between Enterprise, Professional, and Community.

Best of luck friend!

Cheers!

• NikoNenovNikoNenov Member
    edited March 26

This solution (Developer community VisualStudio "problem 873127") worked for me:

Delete every MDB file associated with project's referenced NuGet packages.
    Both in project packages folder and .nuget cache folder.

I have a iOS project:

• Visual Studio Professional 2019 Version 16.5.1
    • Xcode 11.4

• nimbusternimbuster Member

Since the current solution is to downgrade to 16.4.X, has anyone updated to 16.5.4 to see if the problem is resolved? Nothing in the Release Notes suggests that it was addressed.

I have tried everything from reinstalling VS to deleting the .mdb files to creating a new project, but debugging always fails in 16.5.X. 16.4.6 is working for me, but I'd like to be able to get updates/features. Anyone have a bug report to link? Every related issue I found is closed and apparently resolved.

• AntonioStan.2954AntonioStan.2954 USMember ✭✭

@nimbuster Same issue also on 16.5.4...

Accepted Answer

@AntonioStan.2954 I just tried updating to the 16.4.5 Community version and it actually seems to be working for me now. Perhaps try using a deep clean tool (wipe out all BIN and OBJ ) folders and give it another shot?
    I'm able to build, deploy, and debug now with build 16.5.4.
    Best of luck!