Forum General

Is it preferable to use Xamarin Forms compared to Xamarin Android?

rodeliorodelio Member

Been trying to learn Xamarin Android and I've noticed that google is showing "Xamarin Forms" resources instead of for Xamarin Android, I do understand that Xamarin Forms "maybe" more popular compared to the native one already so is it advisable to switch to Xamarin Forms now even if I will just do android development in Xamarin?

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@rodelio said:
    is it advisable to switch to Xamarin Forms now even if I will just do android development in Xamarin?

If you do not expect to need your app running on iOS, Windows, Tizen etc, then stick with Xamarin.Android assuming that you want to develop for Android using C# or F# (if you would be happy using Java then don't use Xamarin at all).

• nerdotronnerdotron Member ✭✭

I'm not an expert, just getting started in Xamarin, but I like the idea of having flexibility to support other platforms. In particular, being able to run on UWP is very nice for me as it allows testing without needing to load anything on a mobile device. You can show it to someone on a tablet or laptop, for example. Yes, you can use the simulator/emulator, but with UWP I can give it to someone else and they can run it on their non-development Win 10 machine, even if the ultimate goal is using it on a mobile device.

Even if you use Xamarin.Forms, you can still do Android native stuff directly in the Android project.