Forum Visual Studio

Windows and Mac on Stable Channel...but iOS mismatch??

IanVinkIanVink CAInsider, University ✭✭✭

I have both VS on my Mac build and Windows 10 machine set to the stable release. The Mac often though for iOS is out of sync, so I can't talk to it.

If I allow Windows VS to force the Mac to downgrade to it's version of iOS, then the Azure Build Agent on the Mac stops working.

The Xamarin.iOS SDK version '13.10.0.21' that is installed on the Mac is not compatible with this version of Visual Studio. Would you like us to install Xamarin.iOS '13.10.0.17' for you? This will overwrite any other existing Xamarin.iOS installation on your Mac.

Tagged:

• Michael_ShapiroMichael_Shapiro USMember ✭✭✭

The same issue here. Are we the only two people who notices that? :)

• TimurUrazovTimurUrazov USMember

It looks like on iMac couldn't be installed an earlier version of the Xamarin.

• RezaMohamedRezaMohamed USMember ✭✭✭

I have this same problem.

• karim_eljedkarim_eljed Member ✭✭

Me too

• sjonessjones Member

And us.

• JonasRembrattJonasRembratt SEUniversity ✭✭✭

Same here

What I do not understand is how it happened. I do not have any automatic installs/updates options enabled on PC or on Mac. How come, all of a sudden, one day everything worked absolutely fine, next day there is this mismatch between the PC and Mac versions of the Xamarin.iOS SDK ???

I haven't been able to find a resolution yet for myself, has anyone got it paired up?

I feel the only resolution at this point is to wait when the the Visual Studio 2019 v16.5 gets released (it is in preview now).

• sjonessjones Member

@Michael_Shapiro said:
    What I do not understand is how it happened. I do not have any automatic installs/updates options enabled on PC or on Mac. How come, all of a sudden, one day everything worked absolutely fine, next day there is this mismatch between the PC and Mac versions of the Xamarin.iOS SDK ???

We regularly have the exact same thing.

We are yet to find a solution other than to revert the mac back.

I have the feeling that the Xamarin stuff gets updated with Windows Update... I have encountered this a few times so far.

I just installed VS 2019 Preview. Now I get the message that it wants to Update the Mono version to 6.8.0.99. On my Mac is version 6.6.0.166 installed :neutral:

• LuizVictorLuizVictor Member

Well, the only solution i found so far was to reinstall the package xamarin.ios-13.10.0.17. pkg on my Mac. I hope the next version fixes the problem.

@karim_eljed said:
    I have the feeling that the Xamarin stuff gets updated with Windows Update... I have encountered this a few times so far.

Very reasonable assumption, I think.

Guess what... it "mysteriously" works and topped complaining about the mismatched versions after I updated Windows VisualStudio to 16.4.6 this morning.

edited March 18

Just installed 16.5.0 (I didn't update to 16.4.6) and got the same message as with the preview:

The Mono version installed on Mac may not be compatible with this version of Visual Studio. Would you like us to install Mono '6.8.0.99' for you? This will overwrite any existing Mono installation on your Mac. :neutral:

edited March 18

I knew what would happen after giving Mono 6.8.0.99 a try:

The Xamarin.iOS SDK version '13.10.0.21' that is installed on the Mac is not compatible with this version of Visual Studio. Would you like us to install Xamarin.iOS '13.14.1.39' for you? This will overwrite any other existing Xamarin.iOS installation on your Mac.

The good thing is that VS Windows complains about the mismatch but still connects to the mac. :smile:

I just started VS Update on Mac again and there is now 6.6.0.166 available in the stable channel. It wasn't available this morning.

In the preview channel there is Mono 6.8.0.121 and Xamarin.iOS SDK Version 13.14.1.39 available.

Why doesn't Microsoft manage to keep stable and the preview releases in sync between Windows and Mac? :s

So I started to get the same error again. Weirdly, I found a workaround without installing anything.

All I did was in the 'Pair to Mac' screen I would just hit cancel when it displays the error about the mismatch and wanting to install, it would appear again, and again I would hit cancel. And then on the third time, it would connect and everything is fine. This has happened couple of different times on different projects and it seems to work.

• What was happening on our Mac was, that Visual Studio for Mac (with auto-updates turned on), was repeatedly trying to update to Mono to the new 6.8.0.99 and after the update it wanted to "update" to the older 6.6.X.Y again.
    So I turned off the automatic updates in VS for Mac, and now I don't get the warnings when starting VS for Windows.

I keep getting this issue, my workaround that seems to work is:
    1) in Visual Studio Mac, Disable the Automatic Update
    2) in the Mac, delete folder /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework

Now, when you connect from VS Win, it will try to update to the required version.

• RyanWatsonRyanWatson USMember ✭✭✭

I'm using 16.5.3 and 8.5.2 and still seeing this same error. Anyone else still seeing this?

• MalcolmLMalcolmL Member

@RyanWatson said:
    I'm using 16.5.3 and 8.5.2 and still seeing this same error. Anyone else still seeing this?

Yeah, same problem here after all the updates yesterday. It still connects after cancelling the mono auto-install though.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭

For me it wants to downgrade the mono:
    The Mono version installed on Mac may not be compatible with this version of Visual Studio. Would you like us to install Mono '6.8.0.99' for you? This will overwrite any existing Mono installation on your Mac.
    The Mono on my Mac is: Mono 6.8.0.123 (2019-10/1d0d939dc30) (64-bit)
    So, it wants to replace 123 with 99. Downgrade.
    Makes no sense.
    Both Win and Mac VS is the very latest (today)

I went ahead and did the 6.8.0.99 version and it works fine. I am not sure why Visual Studio/Xamarin team don't coordinate this. Not gonna lie, I am regretting building with Xamarin with the plethora of issues that are surfacing - Apple account provisioning, releasing code before testing https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/10162 , this issue with the mismatch, debugging to device speeds are awful, and recently I am seeing warning about System.Numerics https://github.com/xamarin/Essentials/issues/904 , compile time issues - I could keep going on. All-in-all, I have wasted weeks trying to troubleshoot/debug than anything else.

• JeffSiemensJeffSiemens USMember ✭✭

Same problem here. Now several updates into 16.5 and still no fix. This seems like a pretty obvious splat. Come on Microsoft!

• Enigma.6140Enigma.6140 LBMember ✭✭

Same issue here after updating VS to 16.5.3 (Mono mismatch) when trying to connect to the build server but if i cancel then ok, it will connect and everything works fine.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭

Note this guys

If you would prefer not to install Visual Studio for Mac, Visual Studio 2019 can automatically configure the Mac build host with Xamarin.iOS and Mono. You must still install and run Xcode. For more information, see Automatic Mac provisioning.

Automatic Mac provisioning

Starting with Visual Studio 2019 version 15.6, Pair to Mac automatically provisions a Mac with software necessary for building Xamarin.iOS applications: Mono, Xamarin.iOS (the software framework, not the Visual Studio for Mac IDE), and various Xcode-related tools (but not Xcode itself).

Important

• Pair to Mac cannot install Xcode; you must manually install it on the Mac build host. It is required for Xamarin.iOS development.
    • Automatic Mac provisioning requires that remote login is enabled on the Mac, and the Mac must be network-accessible to the Windows machine. See Enabling remote login on the Mac for more details.
    • Automatic Mac provisioning requires 3GB of free space on the Mac to install Xamarin.iOS.

Pair to Mac performs necessary software installations/updates when Visual Studio 2019 is connecting to the Mac.

So, probably from now on, it's better to uninstall ALL VS stuff from MAC, and let VS/Win to install/setup what it needs.
    I am just reinstalling my MAC from zero, so I will give it a try.

@Zoli - Thank you for this info, I didn't know about the auto provisioning. It is tempting to get rid of the VS on MAC. But I clearly remember the bug (about a year ago or so) when Storyboard was broken in VS for PC and the only way to do any development until it was fixed was to use the VS for MAC.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 9

@Michael_Shapiro - well, yes, that's not unusual with Xamarin...

UPDATE:
    After a fresh new macOS install, I connected from the (latest 16.5.3) VS2019/Win, and let it install Mono+iOS FW.
    Then (after manually updating Xamarin.Build.Download to 0.10.0 on iOS), it compiled successfully. B)